Question

Nate

Scholar
Marshal
If you have someone shooting arrows at you with weapons coatings on them, if you bat them away like a regular arrow, do you take the effect of the weapon coating?

Nope. Same way you don't take the poison unless it gets through your armour first. Unless you take the damage to your body points the poison doesn't get into the blood stream.

Jeff
not a marshall, but does love the blade poisons

Interesting.
To clarify part of the response: Arrows can be batted away by an unarmed individual and damage is not taken?

Nono. If you touch it with your hand, you take the damage. If you bat it away with your sword or block it with your shield, you do not.

I thought that sounded a bit off. Thanks!

Nate said:
If you have someone shooting arrows at you with weapons coatings on them, if you bat them away like a regular arrow, do you take the effect of the weapon coating?
However always keep in mind that is something just throws a gas globe at you, batting it away will not help and you have to take it. (I know you know nate, I just didnt want anyone to get poisons (weapon coatings) and poisons (gas globes) confused.

Not really along the same lines, but now I am curious. If someone incants a spell and throws their packet, and their target also incants a spell and throws their packet and the first packet is hit by the second in mid-air, does anyone take any effects?
Secondly, if someone incants a spell and throws their packet, and their target does not incant a spell, but throws a spell packet, which intercepts the first, what happens?
Thirdly, if the same scenario is reenacted, but with the target of the first casters packet using a thrown weapon or arrow packet.

-Bond

Bond,

IANAM but I would assume it falls under the same scenario that has been discussed before as per Shatter or Disarm. Theoretically if you throw, say, a shield at an incoming Shatter packet, then even if the shield is only 1" away from your arm when the packet hits then it's technically not your possession and thus it doesn't shatter. It was decided (don't remember when this discussion happened; it was on the Alliance board a long time ago if I remember right) that this was a case where "spirit of the rules" trumped the actual text of the rules -- that such an object was a direct possession of the target even if they were trying to get around the case.

Whether or not this ruling stands in Seattle I couldn't say, nor whether a packet would fall under the same rules. Just a little historical reference for those who care :)

-Bryan

Bond said:
Not really along the same lines, but now I am curious. If someone incants a spell and throws their packet, and their target also incants a spell and throws their packet and the first packet is hit by the second in mid-air, does anyone take any effects?
Secondly, if someone incants a spell and throws their packet, and their target does not incant a spell, but throws a spell packet, which intercepts the first, what happens?
Thirdly, if the same scenario is reenacted, but with the target of the first casters packet using a thrown weapon or arrow packet.

-Bond
I don't know about ruling, but it happened to me twice in the same combat with Marcus years back (and hasn't happened since). The result wasn't either of us taking any effects... just falling down and laughing our *** off.

~Barry

Yeah, if a packet doesn't hit you, you don't take an effect. It's also only happened to me once in almost 6 years, so it's not that big a deal. As far as Bryan's comment, I believe that it was ruled that an item had to come to rest on the ground for it to be considered no longer in your possession, because one of the problems with the rule was that people were throwing a weapon into the air and catching it to lessen the effect of a disarm spell.
~Matt

Back