Questions

I believe 5 copper per CP cost of an item, so essentially same values as current on most items. I did a quick search and could not find it in the packet however know that is the intent. Obviously that may change long term though.

I believe 5 copper per CP cost of an item, so essentially same values as current on most items. I did a quick search and could not find it in the packet however know that is the intent. Obviously that may change long term though.
That was what I suspected at first- but that means that any skill that allows you to purchase crafting materials are charging double- since they sell at 1 silver apiece and are equivalent of 1 CP when used for crafting. Further, per merchant 3 and “found a thing”, skills that let you buy adventuring gear from logistics directly cost 3 silver per level, effectively a 500% markup. I’m not sure how to turn a profit on that.

Profession (formerly Craftsman Other) now allows folks to take 1 Crafting Material (CM) per day instead of 1 Silver. This makes me think 1 Crafting Point (CP) = 1 Silver when sold to Merchant.

This equivalency also seems to jibe with how Crafter Adventuring Equipment (CAE) ow works. The first "round" is free, but refill costs 1 CM (1 silver) per CP, or the equivalent of a Double-Batch price in 2.0. So, if you single "batch" in 2.1 (use the free round CP and then spend 1 CM for 1 more CP), you're spending about the same as you would in 2.0.

The economy is still stabilizing, but I expect profit in 2.1 will come from either using the "free" round exclusively and selling at 1 silver/CP; or combining the free round with multiple batches (at 1 CM per CP) and selling at 1+ silver/CP. Smarter merchants than I will figure functional models, but it basically boils down the more you invest in CAE for "free" CP equipment, the higher your profit. (Workshops will figure in there somehow, but I get the feeling Rules is still trying to determine how).

I also get the feeling The Level 3 Merchant ability is not intended for profit as much as for the "I Need It Now" moment. Similar to Field Crafting, there are times when you just need something in a clutch.

The point of merchant I do not believe is profiting from your own production but is turning useless things to you into something usable. That's how I view it now as well however, so may not be correct logic.

The point of merchant I do not believe is profiting from your own production but is turning useless things to you into something usable. That's how I view it now as well however, so may not be correct logic.
Some in-game shopkeepers relied on the discrepancy between the merchant skill selling back at full production value and the discount for having so many ranks in a skill to turn a small profit of 1 copper/level on their excess gear at the end of the weekend. That discount ability is gone in this update, so the entire model is thrown off.

But you can make far greater profit by selling in game and stock piling to avoid batching. Its not like production goes bad.

Then again maybe that is a cultural difference. In the Midwest crafters have generally managed to get 2x cost. So they make a solid profit. Thus crafters have generally been able to use their own supplies and even give away some and still be in profit.

This is good information to have though for sure, one of the best parts of the playtest process is things can and will change. Perhaps this will be one of them perhaps not.

But you can make far greater profit by selling in game and stock piling to avoid batching. Its not like production goes bad.

Then again maybe that is a cultural difference. In the Midwest crafters have generally managed to get 2x cost. So they make a solid profit. Thus crafters have generally been able to use their own supplies and even give away some and still be in profit.

This is good information to have though for sure, one of the best parts of the playtest process is things can and will change. Perhaps this will be one of them perhaps not.
Oh for sure that’s how you do it for real profit (I, for example, charge 3x the reduced price of production to players, and have enjoyed a great amount of success from it). The above example is just the foundation, the very base of how the profit gets generated- and without it, there’s no benefit to buying from someone in game when you can buy from logistics for the same amount- or cheaper now that coin is less needed.

What determines the coin value of production tags for the merchant skill if production no longer costs coin?
The value will be determined by the CP/CM required to make the item. The exact ratio is still to be determined.

Back