[.11] Raging Blow - Melee Only?

Draven

Count
When I was reading RB, I interpreted it as melee only due to the use of “weapon swing.”

But since the Healing/Chaos/Elemental Strike rituals use the same phrase, does that mean ranged weapons can also use Raging Blow?

I don't see why it couldn't be used with a bow, crossbow, or even a throwing weapon; I've always understood "weapon swing" to mean "an attack with a weapon", both melee and ranged, and I can't think of a Ritual effect that requires specifically a melee or a ranged weapon, so I can't imagine this would be the exception to that.

ETA: Poison Cache, Poison Trigger, and Potion Coating all require a melee weapon, but that makes quite a lot of sense considering their effects, as they all relate to coating weapons; there's no real point to putting Cache or Trigger on a throwing weapon, and you apply Poison to the arrows/bolts you fire and not the bow/crossbow, so there's no reason to put any of them on one of those.

Last edited:
I don't see why it couldn't be used with a bow, crossbow, or even a throwing weapon; I've always understood "weapon swing" to mean "an attack with a weapon", both melee and ranged, and I can't think of a Ritual effect that requires specifically a melee or a ranged weapon, so I can't imagine this would be the exception to that.

ETA: Poison Cache, Poison Trigger, and Potion Coating all require a melee weapon, but that makes quite a lot of sense considering their effects, as they all relate to coating weapons; there's no real point to putting Cache or Trigger on a throwing weapon, and you apply Poison to the arrows/bolts you fire and not the bow/crossbow, so there's no reason to put any of them on one of those.

Re: Throwing Weapon. I can actually think of reasons to put Trig/Cache on Throwing Weapons, because that throwing weapon might be used for other purposes but you don’t necessarily want to blow the poison (Per Day attack, Weapon shield, etc).

Anyhow, I had merely heard RB was melee only, and I realized I might have heard in error. That’s why I wanted to find out if that was the case.

The main reason I say it's probably not worth it to put either Ritual on them is because throwing dagger tags are cheap, and carrying around 3-4 physreps for them is fairly easy to do; keeping one or two coated and using the rest for Per-Days and popping Weapon Shields seems like an easier and cheaper option than putting the Rituals on them, but your mileage may vary.

Back