Ranks of Teacher

How many are too many, that it becomes a detriment to the game? Should everyone have at least one rank?

I'm curious for others thoughts.

It seems like you're asking two different questions. Are you concerned about people buying too many ranks of teacher, spending too much build? Do you want to do away with the skill entirely?

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
It seems like you're asking two different questions. Are you concerned about people buying too many ranks of teacher, spending too much build? Do you want to do away with the skill entirely?

Well, I've got currently five ranks of teacher. Coupled with my other skills... I can teach you either school of magic, from first circle to formal magic, in a weekend. I've considered buying more teacher. I worry though, in buying more ranks of teacher, that I'm pushing the limits of the original intent of what Teacher was supposed to be.

I really don't think you have to worry about having too much Teacher. If you want to spend all day crash-coursing someone through magic, more power to you.

I had 4 ranks at one time, and some weekends went through all or almost all.

However, as the characters in the chapters I played in grew up" I found I wasn't using them nearly as much, so with the rewrite a couple years ago I cut it down to two. If I find myself using them all on a regular basis again, I'd buy more.

In general, if your chapter has a healthy number of low-mid level players and you enjoy the RP, having lots of ranks is great. I also enjoyed being able to run a "class" teaching several people the same skill at once.

One dimension of my current character concept is to be Master of Weapons, but my character does not believe you have truly mastered something until you can teach it. I currently have 8 profs, weapon master, style master, thrown weapon, archery, and waylay, therefore I am able to potentially teach any weapon skill or style. I have also learned all the fighter skills in-game, so it's only a matter of time/build to purchase them at this point. Once I have one of each of those skills, I then plan to take teacher for each skill from Critical Attack to Eviscerate and be a true Master of Weapons, possibly starting an in-game dojo or similar training camp for in-game practice and skill training with boffer weapons.

Similarly, the end game for your character could be a Master of the Magical Arts, able to teach both schools from 1st level to formal in a single day. I don't see any problem with that from a game design perspective and lots of opportunity from a role-playing perspective. Anything that encourages player interaction in a positive role-play scenario can only be a good thing for the game.

Back