Rebirth

Status
Not open for further replies.

OleanderSky

Artisan
Marshal
Say I have 4 9th level spells and 5 ranks of formal at a weekend event. I memorize 4 Life spells and spend my high magic on Rebirth. On Friday through Saturday evening, I have 1 Life spell used up, stored away for Rebirth, and 3 I can cast. I survive the first logistical day without using the Rebirth.
After Saturday logistics, how many Life spells are available for casting, 3 or all 4?

I concur with Phil.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that the 2nd logistics period you'd have Rebirth + 4 Life/Death spells in memory. Under Rebirth, it says it takes up 1 Life spell. I don't recall it saying 1 Life Spell per day (I don't have a book on me at the moment). I asked a few other marshals and this is how it's been interpreted.

Day 1: Rebirth + 3 Lifes (assuming you choose all slots for life)
Day 2: Rebirth + 4 Lifes (assuming you choose all slots for life)

Rebirth acts like a spell store for a Life spell. Unless you use it, it's still there for the 5 days you have it via High Magic.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that the 2nd logistics period you'd have Rebirth + 4 Life/Death spells in memory. Under Rebirth, it says it takes up 1 Life spell. I don't recall it saying 1 Life Spell per day (I don't have a book on me at the moment). I asked a few other marshals and this is how it's been interpreted.

Day 1: Rebirth + 3 Lifes (assuming you choose all slots for life)
Day 2: Rebirth + 4 Lifes (assuming you choose all slots for life)

Rebirth acts like a spell store for a Life spell. Unless you use it, it's still there for the 5 days you have it via High Magic.

This is incorrect. Rebirth 'reserves' a Life spell from your active pool. If you do not use it on day one then you will still have to allocate one Life spell from day 2's memorization, as noted in the first response.

Upvote 0
Relevant text from ARB:

"An Earth caster sets aside a Life spell from his or her memory at Logistics. This Life spell can no longer be used except for use with the Rebirth skill."

Since after the first day the life spell is technically no longer "in memory," having been replaced by your spells for day 2, it sounds like you need to allocate a second Life spell to the rebirth, even though the rebirth itself lasts 5 days.

Upvote 0
I'm reading High Magic and Rebirth in the rulebook and it does not mention that. Pg 138 states it needs a life spell at logistics, on day 2 you aren't buying rebirth again.

I'm going to post into rules discussion, as I feel multiple people interpret this differently. Unless I'm not reading the text correctly.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that clarification. There had been rulebook changes since that post and I was tripped up on the current wording. We should be good now.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back