Redefining and Reviewing

Fearless Leader said:
Cpt.MarcusNelson said:
We just got a nifty magic item that can only be used by lvls 11 and lower. it seems like a cool concept for magic items. I like the idea of restricing magic items to class/lvl. That way lower level characters would not get constantly screwed and fighter/ rouges could get items that actually benefit their class as opposed to random magic effects.
How do we explain that IG when levels are an OOG concept?
I see it kind of as the item can only be used by someone with less adventuring experience, and as soon as they begin to become skillful and knowledgable enough, the item deems that its owner can go on just fine without it. But as he said, not everything really needs and OOG description (though it's nice when there is).

I've often heard characters find a way to gather level IG by asking how many "seasons" someone has adventured. It generally works as long as everyone gets what you're asking.

That's actually one of the things I HATE being asked. Right up there with "How many dagger blows do you swing for?" Questions like that are to my mind metagamey attempts to ask for OOG info when an extra 30 seconds roleplaying or offering to spar with them would get you even better info since you get to see how well the player actually fights as well as hear the number. Maybe I'm oversensitive in my old age.

Toddo said:
That's actually one of the things I HATE being asked. Right up there with "How many dagger blows do you swing for?" Questions like that are to my mind metagamey attempts to ask for OOG info when an extra 30 seconds roleplaying or offering to spar with them would get you even better info since you get to see how well the player actually fights as well as hear the number. Maybe I'm oversensitive in my old age.

I'll admit that I won't go there and TALK about levels in game.

But, I'm cool with level based flaws on items. In fact, I think they are pretty awesome.

Toddo said:
I just tell people I hit as hard as a Stone Bolt. SImple as that.

Back