Refitting arcane armor during an active magic storm

Kasuni

Squire
Hey all! So, this came up at the recent overnight gameday, and we got a temporary call, but I wanted to ask for the official ruling on how to handle this in the future.

So, during an active magic storm can one refit their own Arcane Armor without breaking the magic storm?

Thanks!

Emily

In the spell description: While the spell is in effect, the caster can perform no other skill nor cast any other
spell.

Yes, that is correct. Refitting an arcane armor isn't a skill, nor is it a spell. Thus, the need for the rules clarification :) I did make a point of checking to see if the rule book had anything to say about it. :)

Skoll Wolfrun said:
In the spell description: While the spell is in effect, the caster can perform no other skill nor cast any other
spell.

While true, and probably correct, I think it'd be for different reasons. Refitting arcane armor does not require any game skill(s), much like activating a magic item doesn't require a game skill -- you can refit it with zero build points spent (assuming you can meet the armor point requirements for your class).

From the AA scroll:
Refitting Arcane Armor DOES NOT require the blacksmith skill. To refit Arcane Armor, the individual must kneel for one minute and concentrate. They may not utilize game skills while refitting and if interrupted must restart their minute of concentration.

The only stipulation on the scroll is that you have to "kneel and concentrate", as you can see.

Can you concentrate on two things at once for the purposes of game mechanics and then can someone keep their feet "planted" while kneeling (meeting both physical concentration criteria at the same time)? I think you can do multiple "concentrate" actions at once as long as the physical criteria aren't broken, but I don't think you can keep both physical criteria in this specific case; while you can keep your toes on the ground, I don't think that would count as the feet remaining planted for the purposes of maintaining the Magic Storm; if you do lower yourself down and keep your feet planted, I'd call that squatting, not kneeling, so I think that by virtue of breaking the "feet planted" part of the spell, it wouldn't be possible.

However, defining what constitutes having your feet planted hasn't been done, so it'd be up to the discretion of those involved; like, I don't think it can be done, but someone else might think that it can.

As long as both feet remain planted,
the verbal is stated, and the spell is not disrupted
as per normal spell rules, the caster may throw
packets. While the spell is in effect, the caster
can perform no other skill nor cast any other
spell.

*my definition of kneeling:
to rest, fall, or support oneself on one's knees

Because the primary support goes from feet to knees; what's left in contact with the ground are toes; I don't know, it'd me hard for me to say your feet are planted when you're supporting yourself on your knees and your toes.

edit: clarity

In the past we have been pretty casual on the "kneeling" bit for both types of armor refitting (due often to muddy ground, bad ankles, etc.) but the intent is definitely to kneel, which as Adam pointed out would break the intent for the physical requirements on a Magic Storm.

Ohhh, word. That makes sense. Due to a pretty serious dislike of ants/mud I am a faux-kneeler. Thus, didn't even occur to me! Okay!! That makes sense. Thank you! :)

Back