Release of "Role Models" is perfect time for media blitz

markusdark

Knight
Hey all,

I'm not sure if you've seen the movie Role Models but it focuses around a kid who belongs to a LARP. The movie portrays LARPing pretty well - very dorky at the beginning but something that everyone is cheering about in the end.

I have begun a media blitz in my area for the two LARPs that I work closely with. I am having them compile press releases and send them to the local TV and newspaper outlets. I'd suggest you do the same.

There are plenty of guides online as how to write a press release as well as contacts to your local news sources.

This movie is the best publicity LARPs have ever had. We should take advantage of it.

Mark

Well good for you, Mark. Good luck making us dweebies look good. :p

But seriously, I think you have a point. Unfortunately I come from a LARP deadzone and don't think the local media would be too interested.

Marcena said:

But seriously, I think you have a point. Unfortunately I come from a LARP deadzone and don't think the local media would be too interested.

So you're saying that in a deadzone where there is no LARPing, people wouldn't think that running around with padded weapons and costumes newsworthy? :)

seriously, every region is a "larp deadzone". where there is a higher population density it just means that the small percent that makes up larpers is larger... ;)

Marcena said:

Jessie,

Would this be the same Larp "DeadZone" that has 3 chapters within 4 hrs of you? :lol:

But seriously, I taking your advice on this this week and writting to my local paper about it. Hadn't thought of it thanks for the heads up :)

Paul
Alliance Owner of the "deadzone" known as Chicago :p

What a great idea - linking the running of ROLE MODELS to local LARP activity.

It would be VERY effective if you could get the ENTERTAINMENT editor to send a reporter out to a running game ... even if you have to quickly come up with a MOD DAY just for the benefit of the local press ... invite them to come out and see LARP in action, to run an article (or at least a side bar) in conjunction with a movie review. Make sure to let them know that this is also a great photo opportunity. You can attach some photos from a recent game weekend.

You might want to try and also get the press release out to the FEATURES editor, although ENTERTAINMENT is the most likely place to GO FOR IT.

I was a public relations manager, at one point in my career, for computer technologies back when computers where really geeky.

Ondreij said:
What a great idea - linking the running of ROLE MODELS to local LARP activity.

It would be VERY effective if you could get the ENTERTAINMENT editor to send a reporter out to a running game ... even if you have to quickly come up with a MOD DAY just for the benefit of the local press ... invite them to come out and see LARP in action, to run an article (or at least a side bar) in conjunction with a movie review. Make sure to let them know that this is also a great photo opportunity. You can attach some photos from a recent game weekend.

You might want to try and also get the press release out to the FEATURES editor, although ENTERTAINMENT is the most likely place to GO FOR IT.

I was a public relations manager, at one point in my career, for computer technologies back when computers where really geeky.
This post has TOO MANY words in all caps. It somehow STRESSES ME OUT to see them all. I'm NOT ENTIRELY SURE why that IS.

*nods* Let's put it this way.

They used a real game's name for the LARP in question (and yes, they asked first- though the permission part didn't get fully worked out till afterward the movie was released).

Best free advertisement ever, even if it's "Hollywooded" LARPing. :)

This movie not only featured larping, it also featured major tributes to the hottest band in the land, Kiss! It also had great insight into boobies.

The explanation of the song Love Gun to a ten year old was so wrong, but hilarious. Coincidentally, Love Gun was the first rock album I ever owned. I got it for Christmas from my brother when I was in 3rd grade.

Now that's a movie.

Scott

This movie is taking hold already! Today in sewing class when I explained to my classmate that I was making a costume for "a big game of pretend for adults" (how I usually describe Alliance) she said "Wow, LARP? Like in 'Role Models'? That looks so cool!"
My day was made.

One of my friends, Adrienne Grady, was the Technical Advisor for the movie and was in charge of all of the LARP related stuff. That's why it came out pretty darn good.

So far, I have been contacted by over a dozen people asking about LARPing for the first time.

Back