Resolute

Resolute is terrible if there is anything swinging for any kind of carrier. It is okay if you are a decent fighter. It does seem to be a little high on the requirement side. Definitely not Eviscerate or Riposte level.

I wouldn't get this skill as a fighter. It would be a once a year skill for me. Unless it changes to a 5 second duration or immunity but can't attack.

I'd get the Racial version of this as a Scholar, but never as a fighter.

If it could stop Death? Yeah, I'd totally get it as a Fighter.

A point brought up in the Traps thread was that you can Resolute against radius effects, which otherwise can't be defended with Spell Parry or Dodge.

Parry vs Resolute:

Parry
30 build prerequisite
Negates damage entirely
Negates carrier attacks
Only effective against physical attacks

Resolute
50 build prerequisite
Doesn't negate all damage (leaves you at 1 body)
Doesn't negate carrier attacks
Effective against weapons, Evocation, trap damage (any damaging attack)

If you're already low on body, Resolute is basically as good as a Parry. With the available rituals changing, Resolute might turn out to be pretty useful, since a fighter can't run around with a pocket full of Spell Shields and Cloak items. However, I'll echo the people saying its utility is highly situational.

Don't forget the caveat that it must take you to -1 to use it. So at zero, nap time.

Oh? I thought that was the intention, not a loophole. That doesn't seem like anything that needed to be playtested though. If that wasn't the intention it can be fixed. Money Back! Sweet! ;p

Resolute has been pointed out in previous playtesting rounds as not being what we were hoping it would be. Playtest packet 0.8 should have some changes you all want to see. :)

As funny as it would be that you can grit your teeth, squint hard and survive being cut in half but still get chumped by getting popped just right in the jaw, no, I don't believe that that was an important distinction we talked about and felt good where we landed.

I'd get the Racial version of this as a Scholar, but never as a fighter.

If it could stop Death? Yeah, I'd totally get it as a Fighter.
Same, and I find this weird. It seems like we are telling min maxers to take the martial race down caster lane while saying if you want to be a fighter you'd better play a different race. Hopefully the next version of resolute makes the racial useful for fighters.

Same, and I find this weird. It seems like we are telling min maxers to take the martial race down caster lane while saying if you want to be a fighter you'd better play a different race. Hopefully the next version of resolute makes the racial useful for fighters.

In my mind, there is an obvious way to make resolute more useful to fighters than to casters, but the solution pretty much means scrapping the current mechanics entirely (which may be too big a jump for the playtest writers).

If you want the skill to clearly favor martial types, turn it into a one / day full self heal.

It is simple, straightforward, and clearly favors fighters over scholars (especially as they increase in level).

If you still want it to be a defensive skill, it could even be a full self heal that can only be used when you are struck by a blow that reduces you to 0 or fewer body points.

All that said, the above is really going far astray because it is theorycrafting for a complete rewrite of the ability (one that arguably should be more expensive or have higher pre-reqs or both). I think it maintains the flavor of the ability, but it still is really beyond the scope of playtest feedback.

-MS

Back