Retribution on Arcane effects

Hey! So I have a question to see if this has been brought up to anywhere.

I have an item that gives me Retribution. I only have High Magic Cloaks to be able to spend for this item. We are planning a big fight with creatures that swing for the Arcane spell effect. Normally, these can only be blocked with the Dodge effect.

My question is that can I use my item, expending the necessary HM to use it, to bane back the effect to the creature using an Arcane spell effect? There are some that believe that you would have to expend a Dodge for it to work, since it's the only one of the list of abilities that can block said attack. But nothing in the ritual page says that it has to be an effective Guard ability. It just says you are expending the use of one.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but some of us are split. Would love opinions on this.

Cloak works on the Effect Group, the Qualifier doesn't matter.
If you have a Cloak against whatever effect it is, you can use it, regardless of whether it is Arcane (or anything else).

Specifically in this instance you could expend either an appropriate Cloak or a Dodge to fuel the Retribution, as either of those abilities could be used against the base attack.

Upvote 0
Back