Ripost topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilwing

Administrator
Alliance Logistics
Alliance Owner
My apologies, I had thought it was resolved.

Player A and B are fighting NPC 1 and 2. NPC 1 hits player A with a slay. Player A uses his Ripost. NPC 1 uses his Ripost. Player B decides he is going to try and use his Ripost. Does this work? Is Ripost state it can only be sent back once or is it once per person.

Ofcourse if player B is allowed to Ripost then NPC 2 is allowed as well.

Using another example Player A is hit with the slay by NPC 1. Player B uses his Ripost sending it back to NPC 1. NPC 1 uses his Ripost to send it to Player B but Player A uses his Ripost would this work as well?

The text under 'Riposte' states "You may not..." which it would seem is the source of the confusion. The text under Reflect Magic gives a bit better wording (though still not 100% as it has the 'you' text in it), as it applies to all reflective defenses:

You may never Reflect, Bane, or Riposte an effect more than once from the same effect

Based on this text and the well-known "Reflect-Reflect-taken" style of combat, the intention here seems clear that any one person may not use more than one of any single "reflective" defense against a single effect. So with infinite numbers of fighters crammed onto the head of a pin, you could have infinite Riposting - as long as they have one each and the same one never uses more than one.

-Bryan Gregory

Thanks....

Sorry to lengthen the thread, but this was something that I was talking about with other people recently.

Does this also mean that you could not do the following:

A: "I grant you the gift of Death"
B: "Reflect"
A: "Reflect"
B: "Bane"
A: "Bane"
B: (Cloak, Resist, got it, whatever)

or for example with two Bane Flame items:

A: "Prepare to die 50 Flame Slay"
B: "Riposte"
A: "Riposte"
B: "Bane"
A: "Bane"
B: (Parry, Cloak, Resist, got it, whatever)

Both of those examples are perfectly legitimate - why wouldn't they be?

Specifically:

Any one person may only ever call one of any single defense against any one effect.

So as long as you don't violate that, you're fine. You can call one each of different defenses (e.g. Bane + Reflect) against the same attack; you can call the same defense against different attacks; but you can't call the same defense against a single attack more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back