[.11] Riposte XP

Draven

Count
Does Riposting Strike count as whatever XP that was used for the pre-req?

That’s confusing.

I would recommend a modification into two separate skills:

Riposte <Fighters>: Triggers on Intercept and Parry

Cunning Feint <Rogues>: Triggers on Evade and Dodge

Riposte is pretty simple.

You activate a Dodge, Parry, or Evade. You immediately activate Riposte. This allows you to use ANY martial or stealth skill that you have an available use of without spending spending that skill (and ignoring positioning).

There is no special keyword to call out. You simply call out the defense and then call out the skill (while appropriately swinging your weapon / throwing a weapon packet).

Riposte is not typed. Even if you bought it with martial skills as pre-reqs, you can use a stealth skill as your strike (if you have one available).
Riposte doesn't care what defense you used. Even if you used an Evade (possibly even a racial Evade???), you can use a martial skill as your strike (if you have one available).
Riposte doesn't care how you were attacked. You can Dodge a spell and then Eviscerate with your sword.
Riposte doesn't care who attacked you. You can Parry a claw from a monster 2 feet away from you and then use an Assassinate through your bow at a target on the other side of the field.

Best way to think of it is: Martial / Stealth Guard immediately followed by a "free"* Martial / Stealth skill of your choice.

*The cost is the Riposte, which is used up and the skill used must be one that you have at least one use unspent.

-MS

I don’t think you read my question.

If Riposte counts for Martial Skills why does it say:
a) ), 30 XP in either Martial Skills or Rogue Skills (calculated separately)
b) immediately use any offensive per-day Martial or Stealth skill known and available

It sounds like you buy Riposte limited per silo bought from by the build spent in that silo, but once bought you can activate a offensive skill from either. In other words, if I have a Doom as a rouge, and 5 Ripostes as a fighter and 5 parries as a fighter, I now have 6 Dooms.

Joe Siegel

If Riposte counts for Martial Skills why does it say:
a) ), 30 XP in either Martial Skills or Rogue Skills (calculated separately)
b) immediately use any offensive per-day Martial or Stealth skill known and available

It sounds like you buy Riposte limited per silo bought from by the build spent in that silo, but once bought you can activate a offensive skill from either. In other words, if I have a Doom as a rouge, and 5 Ripostes as a fighter and 5 parries as a fighter, I now have 6 Dooms.

Joe Siegel

Correct? Technically. But you are burning 2 skills (Parry and riposte) to get one use of doom from any location. And I believe it is "# Weapon Doom"? You also have to dump 60 points into Stealth skills first.

Edited to reflect how Doom Strike actually works

Last edited:
....You seem to imply that using Parry is somehow a cost.

Like, I don’t think anyone is going to deliberately burn a Parry or any other defense just to activate a Riposte.

Pretty sure they’ll be activating it to “not die.”

Norman,
While yes, I am buring two skills for one Doom, I am buring three for two, four for three etc. At some point it becomes worth it, especially when you realize you are mitigating the need to work or risk yourself by overcoming the positioning limiter otherwise inherant with Doom.

Joe Siegel

Im not worried about someone swinging "8 doom" six times a day (as a fighter. Rogues would be 2 doom). It's still a carrier and still needs to get through armor to be effective. Go ahead and burn a slay while you are at it and increase your damage to 20+ doom, but it's more skills burned to use the doom carrier. :)

Last edited:
Im not worried about someone swinging "8 doom" six times a day (as a fighter. Rogues would be 2 doom). It's still a carrier and still needs to get through armor to be effective. Go ahead and burn a slay while you are at it and increase your damage to 20+ doom, but it's more skills burned to use the doom carrier. :)

Wow Doom Blow is not as good as I first thought. And yeah kinda bad with riposte I guess. Stun limb or the other strikes are plenty fine still. And you get alot more strikes for cheaper cost with riposte.

I guess we will figure it out at the play test.

To be fair, while it’s true that Doom is no longer an immediate takeout, it’s pretty potent for the fact that successful delivery means the target needs a suddenly rare Life spell.

Back