rules on making a shield

kes166

Artisan
I need to make a LARP shield for my 5 year old for a kids event. I'm going to make it 16 inches in diameter, and I can't find anything that small that will work for a kids larp event so I'm going to try to build it myself, but I have no idea on where to start.

I want it to look like this shield
mci-2086_2_.jpg

but as far as materials and safty specs, I'm clueless.

Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can create it? Do I need to use cardboard to create the shield?

There's a slew of materials you can use. If you're looking to make a 16 inch diameter shield, you might investigate if there are any frisbees around that range. Pad the edges with pipe foam, same as a boffer. (Duct tape works. Tip ties might be better for your case.) Punch a couple of holes and fit in a grip (and arm strap if you're going for an strap shield.) A good sturdy piece of rope works pretty well for those. Then paint the front the way you want.

That should be a fairly cheap but working solution for you... so you should in theory be able to play with it some after a test run if you desired.

I would suggest looking at cheap 16-18" hub caps. Usually made of plastic, just pull out the metal clips & grind/Dremel off any sharp edges.

Around here (Oregon), I would also hit up Goodwill resale shops for sled discs.

corrugated plastic (instead of cardboard, if you choose) glued to camp pad foam, no?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9ixHvXuCWE[/youtube]

Thanks for the info, I'll check out Home Depot and try to post a pic of the final product. Luckily my supervisor at work is a weapons marshal, so I'll have him check it over as well.

Just make sure to use 5/8" foam around the edge instead of the suggested 3/8". You can also use two layers of the 3/8", but that can be unwieldy and unstable.

you could also cut it out of rigid pink insulation foam. 2 layers of that would even let you sculpt it. It would be extremely light, but it will dent if anything hard strikes it.
This is really dense foam so you'll need to add the pipe insulation on the ends.

I'd say the corrugated cardboard, thin edging of pipe insulation, a layer of camping foam on the front, you can glue a piece of fabric onto the camping foam and paint on whatever device you want.

Remember everyone that this is a shield intended for a five year old to use at a kid's event. It doesn't need to be up to the standards of Alliance. :hahaha:

Probably a good thing too. "Mommy! Daddy stole my shield again for the weekend!"

markusdark said:
Remember everyone that this is a shield intended for a five year old to use at a kid's event. It doesn't need to be up to the standards of Alliance. :hahaha:
But if it is, in a few years he'll join the Alliance, and then he'll already have a safety approved shield. ;)

Does anyone have a link to a video or step by step instructions for making a sturdy UL shield (non-cardboard)? Thanks!

-Ryan

I'll post pics of this soon, but JP gave me a good shield idea that is idea my son.

Take a larger friz bee, 2-3" PVC pipe. Attach the pipe to friz bee (I notched the edge to have a straight line), cover pipe and edges of friz bee, then layer camp foam.

PVC behind the friz bee is not covered so you have a handle. I is quite fast and light. I put some open cell between the PVC and friz bee also, I can actually let my arm hang and the shield does not come off.

I am holding off taping it up entirely.
frontpunch.jpg

backpunch.jpg

I'd be wary of that design for younger kids. Less accurate control could lead to inadvertent head/face injuries of the wielder.

Indeed. Madus require some extra control to properly use.

true, but if you take the pipe and cut it down so that it is only showing a few inches (say 6") on each side you have a small, mobile shield.

anyway, I made 2 good shields using corrugated plastic (bought online at Ace Hardware). 2 layers sandwiched with the corrugation in a cross hatch pattern is very sturdy. The one I made for my son is a heater style. The glue actually made the plastic bend a bit, so the shield has a nice bend. My only issue, with him being just under 5' tall he is practically turtling just standing there.

Back