Rules Questions - Gypsy Curse, Thrown Weapons and more.

((I posted this in the national board by accident first, sorry about that. I hope this is in the right place now.))

First, I'd like to say that I had a fantastic time this past weekend and would like to thank you all for that. I am currently working on my rebuild and have been curious about some things.

I was told that you cannot use packets or beanbags as thrown weapons but I do not see that anywhere in the rules. I also don't hear of thrown weapons used every often, is there a reason for this? What is their drawback over arrows? They can be picked up and reused, correct?

Next, I would like to ask about the gypsy curse. Last game it occurred so me to use the 'curse' as a reward, cursing someone that they will be caused to laugh from the heart at least once a day. I also called it a Gypsy Blessing. I know there are no rules on this but I wanted to ask about it. Also, if I curse another player or NPC, should I tell a marshal or just allow them to RP it as they will?

I have also been considering having her sell things through the merchant guild. Does t his require the skill Merchant? Or is that specifically for fencing items to the gms? I am also rather crafty and make quite a few props. I'd like to trade these in for goblin stamps or dragon stamps, depending, but don't want to just make random things that you don't need. Is there someone I can get in touch with so I can make more personalized and more game specific items?

For Wizard Locks and Wards, I have heard that the nobility grants the baronies with their own wards for serveral things. If I wanted my own ward (wizard lock), I was told there was a way to do that with a gold or two, but it was in passing. Can you clarify those rules for me?

Thanks in advance for the replies and answers. I look forward to the next event! ^_^

I was told that you cannot use packets or beanbags as thrown weapons but I do not see that anywhere in the rules. I also don't hear of thrown weapons used every often, is there a reason for this? What is their drawback over arrows? They can be picked up and reused, correct?

Pg 83:
Thrown Weapons can be of many different
shapes and sizes. They must be constructed
with no core and may not be internally weighted
with hard materials. These weapons can never
be used as a melee weapon in a fight; they must
be thrown. Because they can be odd sizes and
shapes, they must be approved on a case-bycase
basis. All Thrown Weapons may be used
to Waylay.
Thrown Weapons with any single measurement
over 24 in. / 61 cm. should be tagged as a
“Heavy Thrown Weapon” and will have a base
damage of 3 instead of 2.
Chapters may rule that some specific
Thrown weapons, called Boulders, may only
be lifted by creatures with Superhuman Strength
and the skill Thrown Weapon. Boulders are
usually represented by garbage bags full of
wrinkled paper or open cell foam and will be
tagged appropriately.

This is in the section about weapon creation and foam, so its implied, but the rulebook probably could use a clarification that they must be made of foam. There is further forum posts about these around though.

These are used by three players in our chapter off the top of my head. Sir Osborne, Squire Ri, and Squire Frank (me). I made use of a LOT of them in the last fight this weekend. I'll typically use them against NPCs throwing spells and effects in order to keep the heat on while keeping my dodging distance, or against things running away. I'll also lob them at things through doorways to screw with doorway strategies, to gain the attention of NPCs, etc etc.

The drawback is they are expensive OOG. While my wife and I are experimenting with making our own with a mold and expanding foam, most are bought from stores at like 6-10 bucks a piece. So getting a bunch of them requires some OOG investment. I carry 9 right now (and gave away one recently), but am looking to up that number to 10-12. Also keep in mind, 1 alchemy coating covers two arrows, but only one throwing weapon. They're also easy to lose in the dark, you lose an arrow packet, well...theres a bucket of 50 more. Carrying 50 throwing daggers (or the 3 skulls I have, which are about the size of tennis balls) is really difficult, but 50 arrows is really easy. As far as I remember, arrows cannot be used to cut people out of entangles, whereas throwing daggers can. Nor can arrows be used to waylay as stated above.

The other consideration is the construction. Arrow packets can be thrown further and more accurately than most store bought foam throwing weapons. It's why my wife and I have been experimenting with the expanding foam. I ended up with floppy daggers (HEHEHE FLOPPY LONG OBJECTS), but are very safe in terms of that theyre soft, and theyre heavy enough to throw good distances and be accurate.

They can be picked up and re-used again. I did so on the last fight Sunday.

Wizard Locks - It is an 8th level spell. Since I don't think any of our casters can cast 8ths yet, they only real way to get one is to use a scroll. You can get a scroll by buying them from the mage's guild (8 silver I believe), by using goblin stamps and getting one for 40 GS, or by finding one as loot. Myself or Zak can use 8th level scrolls and would be happy to cast it for you. You need to be able to cast 4th level celestial spells to use an 8th level scroll.

I know the answer to the beanbag question

Beanbags, in the game, signify non-weapon effects. Gases (orange), magic, fireballs, etc: they are the stand-in to represent different things like that and are universally interpreted that way so that everyone has the same mental-visual for what they signify. A hand full of packets or 'coliflowered-up' is interpreted IC usually as 'hands wreathed in energy' for instance.

Likewise, they are used for arrows (always blue) because we cannot have actual arrows in the game. Packets are not used as thrown weapons because people will not know at a glance what is hitting them, weapons are meant to be weapon-shaped (with arrows being the only rule-breaker) Because thats whats intuitive. It is probably not delineated in the book because the writers presumed its obvious. But basically- thrown weapons should be weapon shaped so people know immediately what they are being hit by IC and so they know what they see you walking up with or throwing. That is- they see someone at a distance throwing magic OR they see someone for sure throwing weapons at a distance and this allows them to react accordingly and appropriately IC.

I don't think you have to be a member of the Merchant's guild to sell stuff there- you just get marginally better pricing*. You definitely don't have to have the Merchant skill- that really just grants you access to a price list so you know what a fair price is for most stuff. The merchant's guild has one that they use, so you really only need it for player-to-player transactions. Also good, like you said, for selling stuff to logistics.

No real prerequisite to selling through the merchant's guild, I don't think, although I recommend trying to sell to other players first, so that the guild doesn't take a cut.

*I could be wrong; I AM a member, and joined at my first event, so maybe I just didn't know that I couldn't sell stuff before.

You can definitely sell to the guild without being a member.

Also, as for "access to a price list":

For production items (i.e. items which can be produced with production skills, which are the vast majority of potions, scrolls, alchemical items, weapons, and armor) there is a chart in the rulebook giving the production cost of these items. Thus you have access to this chart even without the Merchant skill. The "market price" of an item is usually 2x its cost - this is what NPC merchants will sell at and is usually the default rate for PC-to-PC sales.

There are two benefits to the Merchant skill:

1. You can sell production items directly to Logistics OOG for 1x production cost. This is usually less than what you will get with IG sales so it is usually used only if you can't find anyone who wants to buy the item IG.

2. You have access to the "Evaluate Item List". If you find an item on an adventure and it has a number written on it (usually this will be, e.g. a bracelet with a number on it, will not necessarily have a tag) then you can bring it to the Merchants' Guild and "appraise" it. The NPC will look up the number on the list and tell you how valuable it is. (This does not allow you to sell the item to logistics as in (1), you still have to find an IG buyer.)

Back