Sarr and color

MKing

Scout
OK, so Sarr are color blind...so how do you Sarr players out there deal with this?? Im thinkin on starting up a Sarr character in the spring and was wondering on how to play this out. In the past I have meet players who would talk about colors like this, "it is the grey of the sun, it is the grey of an apple, the grey of the clear morning sky" ... would this still be ok or is it a flat all you see is greys and you cant tell colors at all..

thanks

According to the rulebook: "The entire concept of color is lost on them". It seems like the "grey of the <blah>" idea ignores this statement.

Personally, I played Cat as wearing loud colors, like a gypsy.

I think it'd be awesome to meet a sarr who wore a pattern that should be camouflage, but used loud, obnoxious colors.

It was thought for a long time that cats and dogs were color blind. This was due to experiments on how they react to colors. However, more recent experiments and better understanding of eye physiology suggest that cats are not color blind, but they do have issues seeing reds, oranges and browns. Cats have both rods and cones in their eyes. Rods help to see movement and help to see in low light (cats can't actually see in the dark, but can in very very low light). Cones are what allows one to see colors. They have more rods and less cones than humans.

It's also theorized that even though they can see some colors, cats really just don't care about them unless trained to (and we all know how hard it is to train a cat).

That being said, color blindness is completely roleplay. I usually only use it for comic effect and it rarely if ever comes into play otherwise, though who knows when you might have to pick the red lever in a module or something.

Scott

I'm reminded of a module we ran in the Brooklyn basement years ago that required the players to place certain colored pellets in the corresponding cauldrons... it was great roleplaying for the sarr team!

thats great mike, but how did they roleplay it?? did they go with different shades of grey?? did they guess? Im trying to see who people work it into their RP.

thanks

Fearless Leader said:
I'm reminded of a module we ran in the Brooklyn basement years ago that required the players to place certain colored pellets in the corresponding cauldrons... it was great roleplaying for the sarr team!
If the entire group were Sarr, I would have just given them all gray stones.

There are certainly many shades of gray. If you want to get an idea, take a picture of something and stick it in photoshop and convert it to greyscale.

Obviously darker colors will show up as darker grays than lighter colors, but you'll have difficulty discerning colors that are approximately the same intensity like red and green. So if you're thinking in black and white, and my choices are between the yellow object and the red one, the red will be the darker of the two. You can decide for yourself how your sarr learned that "this dark gray is called red."

Some sarr roleplay that (at least with clothing) different color dyes smell differently, and that's how they end up not dressing like a circus clown. And honestly if using natural dyes this is absolutely true.

Ezri said:
You can decide for yourself how your sarr learned that "this dark gray is called red."
Again: "The entire concept of color is lost on them". It seems pretty straightforward. Like Dwarves hate Trolls, Sarr don't grok color. Like you mentioned, if they just "happen" to wear some aesthetically-pleasing combination of colors, it's because they smell good together.

Giving them all gray stones is just my way of being mean. :)

jpariury said:
Ezri said:
You can decide for yourself how your sarr learned that "this dark gray is called red."
Again: "The entire concept of color is lost on them". It seems pretty straightforward. Like Dwarves hate Trolls, Sarr don't grok color. Like you mentioned, if they just "happen" to wear some aesthetically-pleasing combination of colors, it's because they smell good together.

Giving them all gray stones is just my way of being mean. :)

I tend to play minimal confusion with colors. I use "scent of the dye" as well when recognizing tabard colors of official teams and nobles. Occasionally I'll say things like "That looks like fresh blood" (referring to the color of someone's shirt or other garb) or "This is the shade of grass". I try to avoid using the word "color", instead using "shade" or occasionally "hue". I try not to use black/white/gray, opting for light/dark instead. Sometimes colors creep in due to familiarity of language, but I try to gloss over them when they do, offering some sort of RP reason why I would have said a color name at that particular instance.

MKing said:
thats great mike, but how did they roleplay it?? did they go with different shades of grey?? did they guess? Im trying to see who people work it into their RP.

thanks

It wasn't an all sarr group. They were doing well until the nonsarr got poisoned or something (I can't remember now) and the sarr had to solve the puzzle within the time limit. They just guessed!

Ezri said:
There are certainly many shades of gray. If you want to get an idea, take a picture of something and stick it in photoshop and convert it to greyscale.

Obviously darker colors will show up as darker grays than lighter colors, but you'll have difficulty discerning colors that are approximately the same intensity like red and green. So if you're thinking in black and white, and my choices are between the yellow object and the red one, the red will be the darker of the two. You can decide for yourself how your sarr learned that "this dark gray is called red."

Some sarr roleplay that (at least with clothing) different color dyes smell differently, and that's how they end up not dressing like a circus clown. And honestly if using natural dyes this is absolutely true.

True enough. The lawyer I work with is color blind, and most of the time he can tell whether I am wearing a blue shirt or a red one, for instance, by the type of gray he sees.

I have two color blind brothers, who have no functioning cones as far as we can tell (they have tested as being color blind for all colors, not just red/green). After 20+ years, they are generally very good at distinguishing which color is which, but occasionally get tripped up by red vs. green and blue vs. purple especially.

and that is of-course the reason our traffic lights are red/green... ;) just for the color blind people! :D

Actually the green they use registers as blue in people who are colorblind to green, and red shows up as orange-y; colorblindness is also one of the reasons why the positioning is always the same on traffic lights.

I had a very colorblind professor in college, and we didn't find that out until we had the brilliant idea to color code a lighting diagram in a set design class... oops.

Actually, fully color blind people know that red is always at the top of the stop light and green is always at the bottom.

Scott

Dreamingfurther said:
and that is of-course the reason our traffic lights are red/green... ;) just for the color blind people! :D

Well, they can also tell by the order. The top one means stop...

EDIT: Doh! typed that before reading Scott's post.

The reason I think of this was from a story I read when I was a kid. They had to catch the bad guy and they knew he was color blind, so the police reversed the stop lights at an intersection they knew he'd be traveling. When a car stopped because the top light was lit -- even though it was green -- they nabbed him.

Strange how you remember stuff like that.

I'd imagine it'd be difficult at night at lights that aren't well lit that you normally just see the color of the light not whether it is top or bottom would be a little rough too.

As a response to the question - I play Khaadi having the smell/taste and association "skill" with colors. Khaadi knows the shades of grey needed to blend in with the woods, so she wore similar shades of grey in her wardrobe. Recently she was around Shensa, so she wore more shadow/black tones to look like them. Also, she memorizes team shades and patterns, as well as the smells of each group. Even the smells of the people become in-printed on the fabric, so if you think about it, when Khaadi gives an association to Stormblades, she means dark blue. For Blythedale, she means sky or light blue. It is something people that hang out with her have to get used to because her colors are associations.

Most especially, a shade can be identified by being told what the "color" should be. Shya and many other non-Sarr have taught her the words for color so now she has at least a grasp on the primary shades of colors. She would be hard pressed to identify the odd shades of the Gypsies...but she does know they wear shiny items that make her not want to dress like them, because she doesn't like being seen.

A lot of my char's identification with color has come from some very frustrating roleplay, when I try to explain colors through taste and smell...and watching people not get what I mean...until finally Khaadi gets pissed and hauls someone over pushes their nose into the color and says, what is that color.

Hope that helped a bit.

Back