Scholar Class vs Scholarly XP: Request to Rename

Draven

Count
Hey folks!

Any chance we could rename “Scholarly XP” to “Mage XP” or “Sorcery XP” or heck, “Esoterica XP?”

I think it would help differentiate the Scholar class from Scholarly XP, much like Fighters are differentiated from Martial XP. It’s a small thing, but I think it would make it more presentable to new folks in discussing how buying XP outside your primary class set works.

Honestly, I think scholar's a bit of weird name for the casting class. (Really how much scholarship do they do? The biggest caster only ever needs to read two books...). But it's solidly ingrained in alliance now. But honestly, I doubt ARC is going to change it now. It is not adding to confusion or evoking awkward themes.

But if they are looking to change it, I'd suggest:
"Magical XP" - probably closest equivalent name to "Martial XP"
"Arcane XP" - accurately reflects the XP not being typed celestial or arcane; also doesn't accidentally scan as "Martial XP"

Also, they might want to consider renaming "Trade and Crafts" too. All the craft-type "Create X" skills are in other headers, with only craftsman being left. Maybe name it something like "Education XP", "Training XP", or just "Trade Skill XP".

Honestly, I think scholar's a bit of weird name for the casting class. (Really how much scholarship do they do? The biggest caster only ever needs to read two books...). But it's solidly ingrained in alliance now. But honestly, I doubt ARC is going to change it now. It is not adding to confusion or evoking awkward themes.

But if they are looking to change it, I'd suggest:
"Magical XP" - probably closest equivalent name to "Martial XP"
"Arcane XP" - accurately reflects the XP not being typed celestial or arcane; also doesn't accidentally scan as "Martial XP"

Also, they might want to consider renaming "Trade and Crafts" too. All the craft-type "Create X" skills are in other headers, with only craftsman being left. Maybe name it something like "Education XP", "Training XP", or just "Trade Skill XP".

The idea that ARC isn’t open to naming changes kinda flies in the face of a “Focus” conversation that happened recently. ;)

The idea that ARC isn’t open to naming changes kinda flies in the face of a “Focus” conversation that happened recently. ;)

At this point, that should be considered the extremely rare exception, not the rule. We have no expectation to rename 'Scholarly XP' or the Scholar class at this time.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

At this point, that should be considered the extremely rare exception, not the rule. We have no expectation to rename 'Scholarly XP' or the Scholar class at this time.

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

That’s unfortunate.

Not really. That was a case where they'd accidentally added the same word referring to two different things -- so renaming one of them was avoiding confusion. And even then, they took the minimal change of appending one word to one of them, rather than choosing a unique word.

Really at this point, I expect most names are fixed unless there are other cases where the names could cause confusion, especially for new players.

Back