Scholar tidbits

MaxIrons

Knight
Marshal
So I'm looking to add two things to my scholar kit, a back sling for my staff, and a scroll book. I'm in the preliminary stages so I'm looking for ideas on how to do it reasonably inexpensively, but still have it look fairly decent.

I'm a fairly tall guy (5' 11") so for the sling I'm looking for something that will go diagonal across my back without too much of the staff sticking out above my head. I don't have a harness system other than my ring belt so at the moment I'm thinking of building off of that into a kind of right shoulder sleeve with a retaining loop, and a dangling sheath on the left rear of my belt. Tips from anyone with experience in such a construction would be greatly appreciated.

As for the scroll book, I'm looking for something where I could index a large number of different battle scrolls quickly, without them flying off in the middle of battle. I'm considering simple wooden slat construction with a pocket behind each slat for paper "tags". The tags in this case being full paper scrolls. All of it bound together with twine/leather lacing and bound in... something... that I haven't figured out yet. Again tips of any sort appreciated here, as I'm stretching my construction/creation abilities on both of these.

Is your handle padded or just wrapped? If it is just wrapped you could find like the clamps that are made to attach to a wall for holding yard tools. Rough them up or paint them so they don't shine and look out of place and attach them to a thick belt that runs form you belt up over your shoulder. Then just put the staff over your shoulder, grab the ends and pull it into the clamps. Just a quick idea. Will need some refinment.

Back