Season Closer Feedback & Thoughts

This is carrie zabawa, i was Pebbles the barbarian. This was my first time back to Somi in about 3 years i would say. I have to say that no chapter makes me think i am gonna rez like Somi. That hasn't changed much lol. I give props to Lucas for being the first person to ever intently talk me out of going out in the open to try to help other people since it was absolutely pointless and would have only ended badly. It was great sneaking around the woods with lucas and the goblin lol. Never thought a Goblin could sneak! I loved the way Somi does the contracts, it soooooo much better than standing OOG by NPC camp waiting for your mod to be up. It gave alot better RP when people would just rift out to do mods.

I loved the late night word puzzle contract mod with the six of us. We were so sleepy we were alittle slow on the uptake. And the i will always carry a pen on me after the wishing mod.

Overall i loved the npcs. You guys had such energy!
And chad u have awesome IG RP skills. Made my weekend.

Overall, it was amazing to see all of you again! Its been years and Ryan and are both very much looking forward to being regulars to Somi next year!

Nicely done and Thankyou! Carrie

Thanks for the feedback Carrie! I'm glad you have fun. Our events aren't usually this deadly. But, players pushed on something.

Certainly more of you had to have some kind of thoughts about the event? Feedback helps us run a better game and do more of what you like.

got to say, i am quite impressed with the game. there is definitely a good balance between high level characters and lower level characters(although it does still seem a bit up there, but its to be expected). not a whole lot of negative things to say here other than what i have already communicated directly to the staff.

SoMi staff and fellow LARPers alike,

First person to resurrect? Nailed it.

With that said, I wish I could have stayed longer. I missed out on what I'm sure was great RP from the Chad man, but was mostly content with swinging a sword in the presence of HoG (mostly Mr. TadRon of course) and crafting new walking sticks and trails in the woods (any rogues out there may stumble across my silent trail in March). Chris, the game is officially afoot!

GJ: I could not have asked for a warmer welcome! Thank you for getting me set up so quick and awesome, and jumping at the bit to answer any question I had.

Food (and all those associated): What I did eat was superb. Some of the best LARP food on the market. 9 out of 10 stick jocks will agree.

RP: I wish I was able to interact more with plot and be involved in some bantering, but I surely understood that it was your season closer and those loyal members you have had all year (not the guy who has been absent 5 years) had some very cool stuff that needed wrapping up. I am excited to come in March.

Lastly: Whoever it was that chased me that first night and tried to follow the tallest guy at camp into the briar patch, I am sorry. If you would like to compare battle wounds, I still retain quite a few of mine :funny:

Ben
aka: Tirus Anyos/Fayne/Tall Guy for Hire

Outstanding Season Closer!!!!

First of all, let me thank the Plot Team and NPCs. Without you guys, there would be no South Michigan Alliance. Your constant hardwork and dedication to improve our game has shown event after event. I couldn't hope for a better Plot Team. Chad, Chris, and Travis, you guys are awesome!

Thanks for the amazing Turkey Dinner on Saturday, Becky! OMG, it was SOOOOOO GOOODDD!!!

Favorites for our closer:

1.) The point in the Endrel fight when Alabaster was the only one standing, Endrel decides to be cocky and finally force himself onto our Plane, Albaster yells "He's on our plane now!", and everyone on the ground drops their Prisons or stops pretending to be dead and starts to fight Endrel. That alone was worth the addition to Durk's ongoing Death Tally :)
2.) Everything HoG and finally coming together as a Team. Seriously good times all around.
3.) Being told "You have to do this by 3am" and actually finishing it. Has that ever happened before? LOL.
4.) Learning about, and now being forced into, the Wild Hunt. I am seriously SERIOUSLY looking forward to that.

We've got a long break ahead of us! I hope you all enjoy it and I cant wait to see you all in March 2014!!!

GJ

oh, and let me add, players, you are very impressive, ive been to 10+ different larps in the last 9 years and i count this group of players as one of the most involving that inviting group i have ever met.

Thank you so much for a wonderful experience. It was my brother and I's first chapter outside of Chicago and it was certainly a memorable one. The staff were all great and very patient with us and I really appreciate it.

Positives:
-I love love LOVE the contracts (Fey? Oni? Santa?). Very clever, very inventive. They are perfect for a quick after battle fun or a full group free-for-all in the middle of the day. Plus it sounded faintly like there's an in-game reason someone is handing these contracts out and that players can find out. If that's true, then the contracts are even more impressive.

-Storylines were fun and interesting in general. I love trying to RP my out of combat situations and the staff was great for that. Some really great RP with them as a result.

-That final bad guy was crazy. Great hopeless feel to the whole battle. You all really played with our emotions well. Afterwards, I was just as emotionally drained as I was physically.

-It's already been said to death, but the food rocked. Highest compliments to the chef.

-I really like the site. Not too small, yet has some nice varied areas to RP/fight. The wood trails were great to utilize at night.

Constructive Criticism:
-The indoor mods led to some of the more creative adventures of the weekend. And while I understand that they are invaluable to keeping player moral high (ie warm) during winter events, I really feel that they become a serious safety issue when you have more than 7-8 players involved. It didn't help that a quarter of the players at the event had enough heavy plate/chain mail to cover a sedan, but I know I accidentally crushed two players momentarily during the tug-of-war style hallway fighting as well as got crushed once myself. Maybe sometimes design the mod where we have to split up and take on the indoor areas on from two doors?

-While the last fight was thrilling, scary, action packed and fun, it was also hard; really, really hard. I felt that it was very much geared toward HoGs while the lowbies were tossed to the wind with no safety net. Originally, I was bringing two new players to this event before they canceled for various reasons, and I'm fairly confident they would have both rezzed had they come due to this mod (which is rough for a first event). This maybe a difference in gaming philosophies, where you may want the last big mod to instill a great level of fear and risk to justify the increased amount of loot received, which is fine I suppose. Perhaps simply capture the low levels and force the rest of the group to rescue them. (It certainly was in the main bad guy's MO to taunt HoGs to this degree). I'm not sure this would be a viable solution everytime since it would get really old for the higher levels, but I don't like mentioning a criticism without some kind of helpful suggestion attached.

-Again, I have heard this is your style of play from others, but the low amount of loot for a majority of the event before the Saturday night mod was disheartening. It also doesn't help that a majority of the SoMi players are very lackadaisical with splitting up loot evenly (obviously not your fault). I must confess, I was a little bit grumpy going into the Sat night mod, since I was in the negative for gold earned for the event at that point. Now granted, I made that gold back and then some after the big loot drop and the two late night contracts, but it just seems disjointed to have all the decent money-making opportunities possible within the last 6 hours of the event. This again, may be a difference in philosophies.

Overall, I don't want these criticisms to suggest I had a poor time. I had a blastly blast. As some one who runs games too, I always appreciate hearing both the positives and negatives.

Back