Seeking information - devil in the details

Afternoon!

Given the current line of conversation in the IC thread "Regarding Town-wide Initiatives and looting" there was made mention by the NPC, Archmage Rassiq Blackmoon, of a ruling:

"Furthermore, since other nobles in the past have tried to exert their influence on the adventuring class, and tried to take what is rightfully ours, former Royal High Lord Magistrate Jefford Blasdel made this exact ruling in 398. Each combatant is entitled to the spoils of war that he or she is responsible for taking down. Stealing someone else's kill is actually theft. It sounds like the nobles are trying to legalize theft of what we deserve."

I fully recognize that this may be a plot point, devised in such a way as to create roleplay and intrigue regarding this organically created element by the players, and this ruling is I'm sure something that many of us will seek to investigate for the sake of clarity as well as authenticity. What it does though is require me to ask if we could be provided similar rulings for say, the last 100 years.

I am a details player, one who enjoys mystery and intrigue, but I am also attempting to play a law abiding character who has been alive for an extended period of time (being an elf) and this detail would be fantastic to insure that I am playing my character and supporting the game world and paradigm.

Thanks,

Ray

So that others are kept aware, I received word from Plot that my request would be a monumental challenge as to cover the width and breadth of the rulings and edicts of the past and not something feasible at this time. I will be pursuing this in game with the help of Plot to gain the information that I and others were seeking.

Ray, let me know if another set of 'boots on the ground' would be helpful in this, I'm happy to help.

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this. There's a lot I'd like to address and clarify, but it's late, so if you can all sit tight until this weekend, I do intend to chime in. Just a side note, I took the last post down because it was a bit more combative than I'd like the conversations on this forum to be. I appreciate constructive criticism, especially when it's intended to improve the game and help us sort through early issues as we establish our IG world, however, I'd prefer it if personal frustrations came to me through private message. While I'm always happy to reply to the thread and help clarify the situation, if you could just give us the chance to do so before you deem our actions to be unfair or unrealistic, that would be awesome. You're a clever bunch and we're working hard to keep up with all the details your curious minds constantly seek!

While I have some leather dye drying, I can finally chime in a bit more...

So while we did publish the laws in the player's guide, (and edited them three times) it would be incredibly difficult to publish the last 414 or even the last 100 years of rulings and case law. It would be incredibly time consuming and we simply can't anticipate everything that is going to come up. We are creative, but we aren't psychics. lol So unfortunately, yes, some things will have to be made up on the spot because we wimply may not have anticipated anyone coming up with something... especially on Thursday night before an event at that. lol
Moving forward, and if it isn't too obscure, we will do our best to provide the nobility with something ahead of time when we can... if we feel they should know it. Also, just because you are a noble, doesn't mean you should automatically know every ruling ever made, even if you lived through it. Just because you studied the code of chivalry and passed your knightly tests, doesn't mean you spent time at the royal legal university of New Acarthia. (RLUNA J/K!) Now if you had craftsman barrister or craftsman legal historian or somesuch that is a different matter...or you could do the research in a writeup... or you could contact plot ahead of time and say, "Hey we are thinking of doing x, y,z. Any problems with that from a historical or legal perspective?" We might say x and z are cool, but Y is horrendous and shouldn't ever be contemplated!!! Plot will do our best to try to work with you. Promise.

As an admitted fault of my own, I have been playing for 24 years, and sometimes take certain things (like OOG and IG knowledge, mechanics, and social IG nuances) for granted. I need to be reminded that we have veteran players from roughly the same AND totally way different systems, veteran players from non-combat non-boffer larps, people who have never played with a noble system, and people brand spankin new to anything.... I will endeavor to be more understanding of these differences in the future. Promise.

With all this being said, someone, non-plot, has stepped up and will be drafting a version of case law/rulings for the last 100 years, but I tell you now, we will almost certainly still need to write royal or ducal addendums as things come up that we hadn't thought of. See above on our psychic abilities. lol

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct them to us at the plot address.

Thank you for reading, playing, and creating,
Jesse

Thanks for that insight, Jesse. If Plot expects PCs to clear our actions against historical, legal, and social precedents in advance of action, could you publish some recommendations about what should trigger that? What are the kinds of actions PCs might take which could provoke reference to these historical reactions from story and NPCs?

Thanks,
Trace

That's just it Trace. We won't know until they do. We can't predict anything no more than the players can. Granted, it isn't EVERY action... I'd even imagine it is a minority of actions .... possible triggers and kinds of actions might include setting a precedent, policies, edicts, laws, rules, whathaveyou. I wish I had more info to give, but it's really a case by case basis as we can't think of everything that could potentially come up. When in doubt, ask.

Back