Seeking Information on the Origin of Formal Scrolls [Will Pay Gold!]

Alex319

Artisan
As we know, we often find formal scrolls on enemies, yet we do not know how to make formal scrolls ourselves. Thus it behooves us to understand where the enemies are getting their formal scrolls, that perhaps we can cut them off at their source or learn how to make formal scrolls ourselves.

Thus, I am searching for any information on where the enemies get their formal scrolls. If you ever find an enemy who has a formal scroll, I would greatly appreciate if you could keep the enemy alive and interrogate them as to where they got their formal scrolls, provided that such can be done while complying with all the relevant laws of New Acarthia. It would be even better if you could bring them to the nobles to be interrogated, and allow me to be present during that interrogation that I can ask questions myself, again only if such can be done while remaining in compliance with applicable law. A minimum of 1 gold will be paid for any relevant information, with even higher rewards possible for particularly valuable information or for the opportunity to participate in an interrogation.

-Andrew the Bard

Goodman Andrew,

To answer your question I do not have solid information, but I will give you the two pieces I do know. First, I have heard rumors of a powerful ritual scroll that allows you to copy another scroll without using up the original copy scroll. I hear that this scroll is very rare, but my guess is that is one way that we are seeing new scrolls is from this copy scroll.

Secondly, I have heard rumors of powerful dragon magic that once created all rituals. While I have not seen the creation, I have seen a powerful dragon mage up close. They could cast formal spells from memory, much like you or I could throw a binding spell. With the sound of their voice, they could affect the field of battle with spells such as shun. It was a hard fight but the main force fighting him eventually chased him away where he had to rift away or else be slain.

I'm not sure how helpful that is to you, but I figured I'd pass it along.

By my hand,
Squire Kendrick

Goodman Andrew,

I have also been interested in this question for some time now. In addition to the two pieces of information that Squire Kendrick has provided I have seen or heard of two other sources of ritual magic:

1. Mixil the Fae was able to cast the Stake of WOE spell without the need of a Formal Scroll or Components through Fae Magic. It would appear that powerful Fae can create these effects without the use of a scroll thus it stands to reason that they would know more about the magic and how it is cast and created off a Formal Scrolls.

2. There are undead scorpion-man creatures from the Singed Desert that claim to have shamans that can cast ritual magic without the use of scrolls. This might be another lead for you.

-Squire Graham Wolsey

To the interested parties:
It is with great proof witnessed by me that your assumptions on the matter are correct. There are powerful scrolls on Fortannis that never disappear and can always be copied from... in addition, some dragon mages and shadow mages can craft ritual scrolls like you or I making a stone bolt scroll. It is rumored that many of the scrolls we find have been created long ago by many powerful dragons. If you ever do successfully track the source of those who make these scrolls, my advice to you is this: You should probably run away!

May the stars light your path,
Ducal Mages Guildmaster
Tynan MacMillain

Thank you for the information.

It appears, as I had suspected, that only very powerful, often evil beings are capable of making formal scrolls. Yet we find formal scrolls on enemies frequently - I have even found one on a lowly troll. Thus it is clear that either our enemies are in league with these powerful evil beings, who give them the scrolls, or else the beings that create these scrolls sell them or give them to others, and they find themselves in the hands of our enemies. Thus it seems vital for the survival of New Acarthia that we work together to locate these beings and eliminate them, perhaps by tracing the supply chain back from the scrolls that we find on enemies. Obviously it would be foolish to attempt to engage one of these powerful beings without a very large force, but the adventurers of New Acarthia have shown a great willingness to band together when a large threat presents itself.

If it is true that the majority of the formal scrolls we find were created by dragons long ago, this presents an even more worrisome possibility. If the scrolls were created long ago and are not being created any more, yet they are continuously being used up, perhaps at one point in the future the supply of these ancient scrolls will become depleted, and we will not be able to find anymore. If this is the case, it behooves us to learn more about the existing supply and rate of depletion, that we can prepare for any upcoming shortage.

As promised, I will pay any of those who were kind enough to give me information up to this point. I will also offer a second option: the Healers' Guild is considering seeking donations to help pay for "triage kits" full of healing potions to be given out to help aid others on the battlefield. If you would like to donate the money that I would pay you to the Healers' Guild for this purpose, then you will be helping to aid in the defense of New Acarthia's citizens in battle as well. After all, if we are eventually forced into combat against an evil dragon mage, New Acarthia's forces will need all the healing they can get!

Since it seems that I have most of the general information that I need, from this point forward I will only pay for specific information that I can directly verify, such as that coming directly from a captured enemy about where they got a particular scroll.

Thank you for all your help, and I look forward to seeing you in September!

-Andrew

Goodman Andrew,

Feel free to donate my gold to the Healers Guild for the triage kits.

By my hand,

Squire Kendrick

Goodman Andrew,

If you found my information helpful, please donate my gold to Faren so he can best use it to benefit the Healer's Guild. I have complete confidence that he knows what the guild's needs are better than I.

-Squire Wolsey

Back