Shield for a tall person

OrcFighterFTW

Spellsword
Relevant rule to this post (from Page 78):

The longest dimension of a shield cannot
exceed 36 inches. The maximum area of a shield
is 531 square inches (a 26 inch diameter circle).

I am posting to help figure out what the most effective and Alliance-legal shape for a shield to defend a tall (6'4") person with a "little extra" build (240 lbs) would be.

More Info:
I am currently thinking of either a tower-shaped shield (long and narrow rectangle, 36" diagonal) or a triangular-shaped shield (36" from top to bottom tip). To hold it, I'm thinking of using light materials (multiple layer cardboard as many people have recommended so far on other threads) with a one-handed grip at the top of the shield, similar to what you may see in the center of a circular shield (no arm strap).

The key goal is to better defend one-on-one weapon attacks. My weapon is going to be a max-length long sword (easier to wield for blocking than a one-handed spear) and I have a long reach. The idea of this fighting style is: keep a distance with my weapon (stall/slow down the attack), block with my shield, then run away as soon as possible/when another character takes over the fight (I'm a support character, not a front-liner :p ).

So my questions are 1) which shape is better- rectangle or triangle? 2) What is the best width for either shape? 3) Is there a better solution than these, if so, what is it?

Thanks!

(Edit: Spelling/Grammar)

If a 26" circle = the maximum area, imo, a 36" x 36" triangle shield, it will give you the best torso protection.

A 36" x 36" triangle shield is too big however.

You could do a 29.5" wide by 36" long triangle which is probably the direction I would go.

The triangle with a higher mounted handle on it would probably let you stop the leg shots easier than the rectangle.

Though I would not go with a punch style shield, but that's just based on my personal preference and how I fight with a shield. YMMV.

If you're looking to be able to drop it for leg shots, the punch style the way you detailed it is probably going to be more effective.

I'd examine the weather of the area you intend to play in before going with cardboard. There are more durable alternatives, such as corrugated plastic (political signs use this one a lot) and wall insulation board, which are just as light and less likely to melt in the rain.

Keep in mind, as has been pointed out, that you must conform to both the 36" rule and area rule when building a shield.

Honestly, if you weren't set on a shield, at your height I'd honestly recommend short sword and long other hand weapon for blocking with... be that a spear, a long bow, or a staff.

It is all about how you use it. I'm 6'5" and 330, and rock an 18" round shield, for example. The max size alliance shield isn't really long enough to make a passive shield style work well on a tall player, so a smaller, more aggressive shield seems to work out better for me.

Random update: After many more events under my belt, the longbow/shortsword combo works a lot better, especially for blocking the low leg shots!

A coffin or kite shield is effective for blocking leg shots. If you put an elastic strap near the top (which will go around your forearm closer to the elbow) and a handle near the bottom (that you'll grip with your hand) the bottom edge will protrude past your hand. It essentially makes your arm longer, meaning you can swipe at leg shots.

It's a much more active fighting style, but because of your height and longer arms, it means you'll have an even more increased reach. I've seen people who are 6'2"-ish and 5'3"-ish both fight extremely effectively with a kite shield.

Back