Shield Question

Elandril

Ok, do I need a skill to be able to use a shield? And is it legal for me to put a dagger sheath on the back coupled with some potion holders?

You do need the have the Shield skill to be able to block with it, but you could carry a shield around without the skill.

You can certainly put potion holders on the back and a dagger holder. The potions are a good idea, but I would avoid strapping a dagger to the back of the shield.

Ok, but you can carry a shield, say, on your back? Would that count as blocked if it hit me there?

Nope. You have to actually hold the shield in a controlled manner in order to use it to block. Edit: You can carry it there, but it won't block anything coming at you unless you're holding onto it.

I'd say a dagger on the back of the shield would be fine as long as it's secured such that it won't pop off even in active combat and it doesn't protrude beyond the edge of the shield. You'd probably need a fairly large shield to accommodate a dagger and whatever straps you have on the back, though.

Basically, the Shield skill allows the shield to negate weapon attacks while it's held in your hand. Worn, or wielded without the Shield skill, means it cannot negate hits, any any hits on the shield, you take.

You can design your shield to carry items, but the reason you don't want a protrusion is because anything that hits the exposed weapon is a legal hit on you.

Back