Shield Size Increase

Do you feel that the increase of Shield size is, overall, good?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That was one of the options we actually had back in I think it was 0.6 or 0.7. The maximum was 36", IIRC.

By the way, the photos of the 36" round shield made for the play testing in Denver were hilarious.

I did not get to participate in the testing then. How was it received?

That was one of the options we actually had back in I think it was 0.6 or 0.7. The maximum was 36", IIRC.

By the way, the photos of the 36" round shield made for the play testing in Denver were hilarious.

I have no idea what that's in reference to. No new shields were made for the playtest sessions that I'm aware of, though one larger non-round was brought in from another game. Pictures? We didn't take any pictures that I know of this playtest session.

I have no idea what that's in reference to. No new shields were made for the playtest sessions that I'm aware of, though one larger non-round was brought in from another game. Pictures? We didn't take any pictures that I know of this playtest session.
I believe it was Porch that sent me the photos. Reach out to him?

I believe it was Porch that sent me the photos. Reach out to him?

Huh, ok. Weird. He hasn't been at playtests this year. Oh well. Thanks!

Being 6'4" I have always felt disadvantaged using shields against smaller opponents. I had more places to hit on me then I could effectively hit on them. I would not be for KITE shields, but I am greatly for increasing them to allow for commercial shields that are bigger than what we allow.

Huh, ok. Weird. He hasn't been at playtests this year. Oh well. Thanks!
It would have been a year or over a year ago since it was the 0.6 or 0.7 time frame.

On average a persons armspan is the same length at their height. The taller players have far more reach than I. I've even been the recipient of what I call the "how you doin" where a player reaches over my head to hit my back because of my hight.

I say let the shield sizes be larger. After getting disarmed and shattered (remember less magic items) a bunch while soaking up all those packets, I feel players will start reverting back to their old shield.

• This opens up a ton of options for mass manufactured shields which currently do not fit within our size constraints.

• With the change to Disarm and Shatter, the ability to remove a shield from play, even for a short time, seemed to overcome the potential problem of turtling.
    1. Similarly, choosing a huge shield just to have a "tower shield" now makes you very vulnerable to spells, said disarms and, obviously, flanking.

• Make it much simpler for people to understand what a "max size" shield really is. Right now it's 534 square inches or something minus cutouts? I had to put my shield pattern through AutoCAD to make sure I actually was within dimensions since I wanted max size. That's absurd to me.

I'm all for this one, for all the reasons mentioned by Durnic.
If someone wants to use a giant shield, let them! They might find that it's the best experience they've ever had at a game. And then you disarm/shatter/pepper it with spells. But hey, they'll get an awesome story out of it.

There's a ton of shields from different vendors that look awesome, but can't be used because they're just to big. I mean, come on! Who wouldn't want to walk onto a battlefield with this beauty on their side?
Dragon%20Wing%20Shield%20403024-1050x1200.png

And just like in this post (holy crap!) it's just to big for current rules at 37.5 inches.

It is a beautiful shield, but it is illegal, regardless of size. That top notch is likely to catch or hook a weapon. You can't have weapons or shields that are likely to catch a weapon purely based on design.

-MS

Ok, fine. I posted that one just cause it looks awesome. I know several people that would be able to modify that to make it legal, but fine, it's got catch points. Here you go, better?
110a89eeadbc8042f0266cddca85203c.jpg

• Length: 36.61 Inches
  • Width: 23.62 Inches
  • Weight: 3.31 Pounds

That dragon wing shield is currently pictured in the rulebook, right by the section on shields...

Change to disarm and shatter is all that was necessary, really. It was either that or allowing head shots.

Change to disarm and shatter is all that was necessary, really. It was either that or allowing head shots.

Having had concussions from bad Amtgard players back in the day, I would not feel comfortable in allowing head shots.

Agreed, and that's not even to consider what the insurers would have to say about necessary protective gear.

With the changes to Disarm, and Shatter Fighter skills I say let folks have whatever size shield they want. More PCs will have more cool looking gear, and more PCs will be able to feel they are not disadvantaged by their size in relation to max shield size. This is a question?

Having had concussions from bad Amtgard players back in the day, I would not feel comfortable in allowing head shots.
I wouldn't advise that either. It definitely teaches people to not turtle in the same way that wooden weapons teach players not to dive under an attack, but that education fast as it is comes with significant drawbacks.
As tempting as it may be sometimes ¬_¬

That dragon wing shield is currently pictured in the rulebook, right by the section on shields...
HA! I've never noticed that before.

It's alright, previous edition's book cover had steel weapons on it ....

I am largely indifferent, since I wouldn't be changing my shield anyway, but I can see the wisdom a finite size as well. Still i have to feel that unless you are big strong lad and fairly tall you not going to get too crazy with this.

Back