Shun and combat.

Dante

If one was in combat with several opponents, lets say, a caster and a pair of fighters, and the caster cast shun on you.
The fighters are weilding a polearms, and is regularly taking steps out of the 10 foot range of shun to strike at you. What would the ruling be if you jumped foreward and attacked the fighters, and the caster stepped foreward as you did so, thus bringing you into the 10 foot shun range. Would the hit count? what if you didnt notice, and kept hitting?

I ask this because this came up in a private little mod/spar me and a few friends ran the other night, involving a magik item that cast, you guessed it, shun. The fight grew rather agrivating (and entertaining), but was highly impractical. Im wondering how something like this would be handled at an event.

It is intended that you attempt to keep a 10 foot radius from the caster. However, if you get forced inside this radius, you act just like the incant tells you to. You shun the guy, pretend he doesn't even exist to you. Repel is the one that physically keeps you 10 feet from the caster.

Diera said:
It is intended that you attempt to keep a 10 foot radius from the caster. However, if you get forced inside this radius, you act just like the incant tells you to. You shun the guy, pretend he doesn't even exist to you. Repel is the one that physically keeps you 10 feet from the caster.

Shun only prevents you from fighting the caster, so if the two fighters are ever in a "questionable" strike area it's rather moot. Hell, I can be ten feet away and swing almost six feet into that zone, so unless the fighters are standing right next to the caster they are probably valid targets for me.

Just my cents, what little I have.

Barry

This might be a silly question, but can the fighters defend (without attacking, obviously) themselves (blocking with a shield, calling a repost or something of that nature) against attacks by the caster of shun? Or do they, as Diera suggests, just figure they don't exist?

what about Dante's same question execpt with a repel instead of a shun?

As long as the caster keeps his arm up, you HAVE to endeavor to remain 10 feet from him... which means, in that case, you can't close with the fighters in that radius. Yes, the caster CAN push you back that way. However, should an obstacle pop up (wall, cliff, etc) you no longer have to move back. This prevents the caster from repeling people off cliffs. At that point, the caster has to move to create the 10 ft distance.

Actually, according to the rulebook, the caster cannot move you. As long as the caster's arm is up, neither of you may approach within 10 feet of the other. This means that if they start moving towards you, and you stop moving, they cannot continue to approach unless they drop the spell.

However, whith a shun, since it's mind effecting, the subject of the spell can be pushed around in a limited fashion.

~Matt, ORV

The intention of repel is to create a sort of "repulsion" field between the caster and the target. At the time you are hit with a repel effect, you should safely move back ten feet (regardless of the initial distance between you and the caster), up until you hit an obstacle. Neither you nor the caster may approach within ten feet of each other, however, you may cast or throw at the caster if you wish.

The intention of shun is to cause the victim to refuse to acknowledge the existence of the caster for a limited time. At the time that you are hit with a shun effect, you must IG move so that you are at least ten feet away from the caster. You may not make any aggressive move towards the caster while under the effect. You may, however, attack people directly next to caster by ranged effects or 2-H weapons. If, for instance, our hypothetical caster was behind a speed bump, and the SB ducked, resulting in the caster being hit, then I believe the caster would still take the effect, although I will doublecheck for total clarification on this last bit. People found to be cheesing this rule as a means of attacking the caster should be dealt with appropriately.

This might be a silly question, but can the fighters defend (without attacking, obviously) themselves (blocking with a shield, calling a repost or something of that nature) against attacks by the caster of shun? Or do they, as Diera suggests, just figure they don't exist?

I'm fairly certain that you can still defend against the caster of a shun, provided you've got the appropriate defenses. You just can't swing back. (although, this would be an instance where that reflect magic could be useful) Admittedly, this shouldn't happen unless the caster is using spells or ranged weaponry, since you're supposed to try to keep 10 feet from him/her.

Sarah
~Also a seattle marshal.

I am working on getting some clarification on what is meant by "may not initiate an attack" in the Shun description. I will post an update once I am more clear on what was intended.

Back