Spam

elliotbay

Knight
Marshal
The good news is that we've only had to deal with about 3 spam posts so far.
The bad news is that there have been a ton of spam accounts created in the last few days, most of them not posting anything, biding their time to strike Russian gambling website terror into our hearts.
The long and the short is that I deleted a bunch of recently-created accounts, and changed the registration requirements slightly. I tried to pull out the legitimate ones, but if it didn't have any posts, and was created in the last month, I probably missed it. Just reregister, and sorry for the inconvenience.

Update!
Spam account registrations have not slowed due to new spambot countermeasures. To avoid having a ton of spam when we get back from the event, I'm going to temporarily disable posting for new registrants. I know it will make favorite moments hard for new players, but I'll have more time to get this sorted out then.

If you could include some text letting them know to message the Seattle New Player Representative that might help them a bit.

I actually didn't end up disabling posts entirely, but the first post somebody makes now requires moderator approval. This is just a temporary fix, and I'll spend some more time on it this evening.

The spambots seem to have gotten bored after I briefly disabled registrations, so we're back to business as usual. New users will now need to have their first post approved by a moderator, though. This should shield you guys for if/when it happens again, and it shouldn't be too cumbersome for new folk.

It's been a couple months and the spammers haven't come back, so I'm dropping us down to DEFCON 5, and removing the new user restriction.

Back