Spell Parry v. Elemental Augmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
Angry Boomcaster chucks an Elemental Flame Blast at my face. I take quad damage versus flame, so I really don't want to take this. But I can spell parry!

Per Spell Parry rit text "This ritual allows the wielder of the weapon the ritual is cast upon to use a parry (if they may parry with the weapon) to Cloak any one magical effect that would normally affect them. A Spell Parry may be used against any battle magic spell, activate, "magic" monster ability, or spellstrike. It may also be used against Dragon Magic or Shadow Magic spells." and per page 99 Arcane effects can be Cloaked.

Per bolded text, does an Elemental Augmented spell still qualify as a battlemagic spell for purposes of Spell Parry? I believe it does, but hey, I could be wrong. And it would give yet another reason to consider prepping Elemental Augmentation, if a small one. ;)

Draven said:
Angry Boomcaster chucks an Elemental Flame Blast at my face. I take quad damage versus flame, so I really don't want to take this. But I can spell parry!

Per Spell Parry rit text "This ritual allows the wielder of the weapon the ritual is cast upon to use a parry (if they may parry with the weapon) to Cloak any one magical effect that would normally affect them. A Spell Parry may be used against any battle magic spell, activate, "magic" monster ability, or spellstrike. It may also be used against Dragon Magic or Shadow Magic spells." and per page 99 Arcane effects can be Cloaked.

Per bolded text, does an Elemental Augmented spell still qualify as a battlemagic spell for purposes of Spell Parry? I believe it does, but hey, I could be wrong. And it would give yet another reason to consider prepping Elemental Augmentation, if a small one. ;)

Think of the underlined section as the qualifiers that the Spell Parry can affect. Basically, incanted spells, "magic" augmented / innate abilities, and spellstrikes (including ritual effects which is what Dragon / Shadow Magic is alluding to).

Elemental is not one of the qualifiers.

Spell Parry is effectively a "Resist Magic" for those that have a Parry and Spell Parry available.

Upvote 0
Alavatar said:
Draven said:

Think of the underlined section as the qualifiers that the Spell Parry can affect. Basically, incanted spells, "magic" augmented / innate abilities, and spellstrikes (including ritual effects which is what Dragon / Shadow Magic is alluding to).

Elemental is not one of the qualifiers.

Spell Parry is effectively a "Resist Magic" for those that have a Parry and Spell Parry available.

Sure, my confusion more or less came from whether or not a battlemagic spell stopped being a battlemagic spell once you applied an Elem Aug, even if it type was no longer "magic."

Upvote 0
Spell Parry works anytime a Spell Shield will. When you augment the qualifier to "Elemental," you'd have to have an active Elemental Shield up to defend against it, so Spell Parry would not work.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back