Spellbook phys rep

Is anyone in here really good at Calligraphy/Drawing? I want to make a really cool Celestial spellbook physrep. Thinking some sort of "Moleskin Notebook" solution with a plastic part for the tag but then having it be fancy with script/drawings. Not your typical spellbook but keeping in mind that its used by a Jackal Wylderkin (me).

Have you considered decorating a 3-ring binder with removable pages which you could type? You Tube is full of tutorials on how to make decorative book covers. My favorite for plastic 3-ring binders is to use hot glue to apply a 1/4" layer of open cell foam to all cover spaces. Then use the hot glue to cover it with fabric (or vinyl, or thin leather) just like you made paper book covers in school. It ends up looking amazingly snazzy for low expense and not much effort.

This is my favorite website for fonts available free for personal use:

http://www.dafont.com/

Trace

I hadn't Trace. Interesting thought. I'm having a hard time visualizing a 3-ring binder as anything more than a 3-ring binder though lol.

Trace,

GENIUS!

I need to give this a go.... since i can never remember incants. I've done the binder thing before but had never considered the foam addition.

-Jules

For remembering incants, I make myself a 1-page cheat sheet and just fold it up and keep that in my pouch. Easy-peasy!

Trace

Over on the main/general part of the boards, someone suggested a wrist coach for remembering incants. I bought two for NPCing because seriously brilliant, and they can pass as bracers if you cover the outside window with cloth/leather/etc (or you can wear them under your sleeve).

More so than just for incants, you can use this to hold your entire battleboard, which has all of your "per day" skills on it. That way, you have easy access to it in order to check how many spells you've used at each level so far or if you already used up all your Parries for the day at a glance. For NPCs, you can put your Monster car in there and reference it between waves/spawns. Very useful tool if you're finding it hard to keep track of everything.

-Luke

I learned last night that at least at the start, the game plans to use spell tags (which I vastly prefer over battle boards for many reasons, personally). One thing I've done in the past is to print out my spell incants on labels for file folders, and stick those on the backs of the spell tags. Then my cheat sheets are right there with me all the time.

Trace

Here I go with another question...

What are spell tags/how do they work? The whole having tags with flags thing is a whole new ballgame for me.

In my experience with spell tags (and skill tags, if you are using those, as well), you will receive a small piece of paper at Logistics check-in each day for all o the spells available to you. Each time you cast a spell (which consists of holding a "packet", touching it to your target and saying your incant, or saying the incant then throwing it at your target), you will tear off the "Unused" flag at the bottom of the spell tag. In the heat of combat, you are not expected to stop and fiddle with your tags; but you should tear off "Unused" flags at your earliest convenience. At the end of a mod or scene, a Marshal may also ask to collect all used tags from that module. Alliance Denver may run things a little differently, but that should give you a general idea to start with.

-Luke

Our group has some questions about requirements for spellbook phys. reps. which are not clear from reading the rulebook.

Is the minimum requirement for a spellbook phys. rep. some kind of book with a tag for the spellbook kept with it?

Alternatively, we've played some variants from the core rules system here which required the verbal written on a page by itself, and every page of the spellbook stamped. That stamp is the "tag". The whole phys. rep. is an in-game item which can be stolen, destroyed, etc.

Obviously, cool phys. reps. enhance the game for everyone, and more is better, but what is the base requirement?

Thanks,
Trace

A Spellbook tag is about a 5"x5" printed piece of paper with every spell in a particular school of magic listed on it, along with some signatures and dates to prove that it's valid. This tag should be FIXED in your spellbook phys. rep., somehow (usually inside the front or back cover) and will have spells crossed off that you do not have access to in your book. It's certainly not a bad idea to write out the different spell incants and effects on the book's pages, though. The rep itself should look relatively in-period at a glance (like you said, "cool phys. reps. enhance the game for everyone"), but there is no requirement to have the incants listed on each page. Something similar which may be tripping you up is the requirement for Battle Scrolls which have a small tag, but that tag must be affixed to a paper at least 16 square inches in size with the incant written on the scroll.

Also, on the subject of tags, there are several examples of different tags on pages 87 and 88 of Rulebook v1.1, but they did not make it into v1.2 that was just released.

-Luke

So, in summary, the minimum requirement is just a book (which could be totally blank inside) with the tax affixed to it in some manner?

Thanks,
Trace

Yes. Sorry for being verbose :)

-Luke

Thanks so much for the clarification overall, Luke, I appreciate it!

Trace

Back