Staff build questions

John

Artisan
If I have a 5 foot staff and it is handled by the middle 3 feet does that only 1 foot on each end it the striking surface. Is it usually legal to have 3/8 foam on the handle and 5/8 on the striking surface? And is a thruster tip required on the ends or can I just have enough closed cell to protect the end? Any help would be great.

Last edited:
Yes on 3/8 for the handle.
I have been told in the past that thrusting tips are required. I would recommend contacting your local group as the use of latex/plastidip may give a different response.

Thrusting tips are not required on non-thrusting weapons.

Any HQ weapons marshals able to chime in. Just in case?

Yeah, because 2 years ago I was told it is required except on latex weapons. I am not able to find anything in ARC updates stating it has been updated to not be required.

"All weapons which are intended to allow thrusting must have a thrusting tip." --p.81
"Thrusting with a staff is not allowed." --p68

Ergo, thrusting tips are not required on staves. If you wish to include them you may; and your local chapter might prefer you to attach them if you're making a PVC staff, but by the rules it doesn't appear to be required, as Kyle said above.

If there is any conflicting language in the weapon construction guidelines, I can't find it...

Ummm... What version are you looking at? Because in 1.2 that section now reads:

"All weapons which are intended to allow
thrusting
must have a thrusting tip. A thrusting
tip consists of at least two inches of open cell
foam padding beyond the end of the pipe insulation.
If the foam tip is too small, opponents
could get hurt with a stiff thrust. If the tip is too
large, it could easily break off or fold over,
making it useless. A thrusting tip may not be
longer than its diameter and should collapse
about half of its length when pressure is applied."

Edit: OK, it's all good then :)

I know I put trusting tips on mine, because in the heat of the moment I don't want to accidentally hurt someone.

Back