Star Armor + Scroll Satchel

Shen [he/him]

Scholar
Chicago Staff
Marshal
Confirming assumption...

Because Scroll Satchel functions in all ways as "a normal scroll" I don't forsee any reason why a Satchel charges couldn't be used for Star Armor charges...

But before I go and earnestly consider satcheling some Evoke 45, cause the Satchel is easier to carry... I want to make sure my assumption is correct.

Star Armor requires a battle magic scroll.

Scroll satchel is a distinct item and, though it functions similarly to a battle magic scroll, is not one.

Well I'm Glad I asked.

As this now also impacts then every other Inscription abilities.

• Efficient protective is "from scroll"
  • perfect spelling is "from scroll"
  • Prefered element is "from scroll"
  • Scroll mastery is "from scroll"
  • Scroll potency is "from scroll"
  • Wand wielders Siphon is "from Scroll"
  • Star Armor is "from scroll"
So out of 12 abilities, 7 of them don't work with the superior equipment which only advantage is carrying a pouch instead of paper.

As an Inscriptionist player - it's not only frustrating but it's then more advantageous and useful to just put 20 scrolls into a pouch and pull them out when needed. Satcheling scrolls for these abilities is the only useful advantage or reason to expend the CP or cost to make a satchel for yourself. They then only remain useful to sell to other people, who almost never want to deal with scrolls except to improperly use them by taping them to their shields.

If the actual intent was to not allow 7 of 12 Inscription abilities with a "does nothing but improve quality of life" equipment. I'd seriously challenge that intention.

Now if we were an older draft where Satchels had the "read appropriate level, but activates like a spell store instead of a scroll"... it be totes behind this intent. As they "activate" from storage". Sadly this clarification, satchel does nothing a Binder Clip can't do and it makes me sad.

Though spitballing ideas... a celestialst or Scribe being able to "activate" it, but non-celestialst /non-scribe needing to "read them like a normal scroll but their not a scroll" could be a cookie in the middle. But even then, as a many years of Inscription 20, I'll have better odds selling 20 Weapon shields with a binder clip then trying to sell a spell satchel. Though I'm still gonna try anyway! :shrug:

Back