Street lamps?

Ken

Artisan
Ah, er, hello again! Oh, sorry, this isn't about a new memory tube. It's just that... with all the lovely trees we have in New Acarthia lately, it does get a bit dark in the evenings, and the evenings are getting longer as the season progresses. At the latest gather I know that multiple adventurers were injured just by the town's terrain and darkness. I think it best to point out that this coming gather is just after the new moon, as if spooks weren't bad enough with moonlight to flee by.

I think it would be quite helpful if some sort of street lights could be installed, even if only to illuminate the more treacherous ditches, makeshift stairways, and temporary bridges in and around the town square. For that purpose, the lights would not need to be particularly tall or big or bright, though some proper lantern posts would be lovely if they could be managed.

Would anyone know what town officials or guilds this sort of thing might fall under the purview of? Also, has anyone an idea of an appropriate and economical fuel source for this? My instinct is that celestial or alchemical lights would be too expensive at this scale, so a bulk supplier of candles, oil, peat, or something else would be necessary.

As I am but a commoner with no wealth to invest or expertise in this market I should certainly not expect my meager pleas to result in lanterns on every corner by next gather, so I would encourage any attendees to bring some extra candle lamps or what have you, in addition to the obvious jack-o-lanterns.

Now that the dangers of the season, including its extreme darkness, are known to the Town Militia, our members will be laying down red alchemical lights in the ditches along both sides of the main road, and other identified safety hazards to our citizens. We particularly recommend that if alchemical lights are used to mark safety hazards, red is the color preferred by the Town Militia for this purpose (so that no one is needlessly worried by lights they may see in the darkness, and know that unmoving red lights on the ground should not be moved) -- but we'll take whatever help we can get. Thank you for your aid in this, kind citizen!

Jane
Captain
Watchtower Integrity

Back