Studded Canvas

Istobla

So reading the rules for armor, i have a cool idea for armor. I think it could be Authentic material, level two armor that covers all locations, and is really light.

The rules say for level 2 "a material with a minimum of 1⁄4" wide metal studs 1" apart or less, a material with at least 14 gauge metal rings spaced 1" apart or less" and in level 1 heavy canvas is listed(altho a material dosnt say it has to be a lvl 1 armor material). so i thought what might be a great idea is black canvas judo/karate/kung fu Gee. they look good and are quite period looking. If i covered it with like 500 studs or rings it would be level two armor with the comfort of fighting in heavy pajamas. Add a matching coif/hood and every location would be covered.

Has anyone tried this? Or any faric and stud combo? and what would be best for non leather ringmail?
Im thinking of using 1/4 inch spots and 1 inch rings, antiqued brass from tandy. anyone use those before?
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/home/ ... 65-02.aspx
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.ca/home/ ... 0-061.aspx

ill put up pics when i make it.
Cheers

Try reading this: http://www.arador.com/articles/chainmail.html

I'd try the bit on "banded mail" (figure four on that page) as that can be done with steel Washers, would be fairly good protection and is Most likely to work they way you are suggesting. I believe I've seen a couple of examples in game.

It would basically make a quilted looking garment that had a row of flat steel washers sandwiched in a sleeve between the two layers of cloth . You might need to adjust the pattern a bit for knees and elbows, or it might not bend right.

It would be much closer to your stated goal of "heavy pajamas's", and would be Overall, more protective.

Ok, so perhaps my intent was not as clearly stated as i thought. I am trying to find a way to make lvl 2 armor fast and well, with max mobility and low visibility, by the letter of the book. I have made wax hardened leather armor that is very good for that but i am kitting out a new character and my sister is possibly starting to play as a Spore Dryad. I would like to help kit her out, and so i will likely ether refit my leather for her or make her something new. She is limited to lvl 2 and i am limited to 25 points (rogue) and i think one would play like studded armor on a dryad itched like wool, but like wool, is worth the protection.

So I guess what i am saying is that according to the book, the difference between garb and lvl 2 armor is the requisite number of 1/4" studs. This could be useful for a gypsy, with studded silk vest, head scarf,or pants/skirt. this could be create for a rouge like me with studded Black Gee. I was wondering if anyone has put this concept into practice. In my mind the rule should be studs make armor worth 1 more point per location, making studded light fabric 1 point, studded leather or heavy canvas 2 and studded heavy leather(10oz) 3 and you can not add studs to metal.

Also, does anyone know what weight of canvas is required to be armor or how it is judged, as there is no rule, but if doe skin and Naugahyde are armor, a standard judo gee should be 10 armor points.

And, does anyone have a guideline on pants as far as "in genre" ? I have brown canvas work pants, and other than a fly, they could have been made in any era that has fabric. i also have brown lightweight cargo pants that the same thing applies to. are pockets just a no, does anyone know? i know this is all just discussion and the final ruling will be my plot team at logistics but i am just trying to get a consensus.

Cheera

Ah, now I understand now. Dryad makes this harder.

You're stuck with Leather or cloth there. No metal. And any armor with enough studs to count as...well armor, would be too much metal, as I understand it.

Treating it as scratchy wool is up to your local plot to determine, but is outside the intent of the racial weakness, as I understand it. Similarly, Biata shouldn't "get used" to being uncomfortable in a ward.

Take these 1/2" wooden buttons and paint them like mushrooms - quick way to do it is to spray paint them all the mushroom color then stand them up and dot them all via splatter paint on top of them with a brush, hitting said brush against another brush or piece of wood to create the sharp splatters. Put a dab of glue on the back of them, put them against the fabric and use a flat thumb tack behind the fabric to hold it into place (yes, thumb tacks are made out of metal but the visual effect hopefully will allow you not to be held to task due to the metal bit hiding under the armor.

99_1_b.JPG

Overall cost:
$5 for canvas
$9 for 200 mushrooms (or $24 for 1,000)
$4 for thumb tacks
$3 for glue
$10 for paint
Total - $31 for some beotchin' lookin' spore studded armor :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/WHOLESALE-LOT-200-1 ... m1ec3b12a1

Now, if you're worried about the possibility of the button snapping off but the pin remaining, you can always drill a hole through the side of the 'stem' and use that to sew it onto the fabric. You also might be able to find round top fabric buttons that look like mushrooms that already have the ability to sew them.

The fastest, high point suit I ever made:

Two yards of colored canvas (can be found in most fabric stores)
A bag of speed rivets
A couple dozen Steel tie plates:
62b63daf-3cc0-435f-b88f-158deff18273_300.jpg

Made two identical tunics out of the colored canvas
Took the tie plates and snipped the corners and gave them a quick sanding
Sandwiched the ties between the tunics
Secured them into place with the speed rivets

Although I had some tools to help me (tin snips, awl to make the holes in the fabric for the rivets, a large sheet of heavy steel to use as a table anvil) the entire process took me roughly 3 hours to create and only cost me around $25.

Back