Sword or Blunt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am already asking in my local forum, but was wondering if there was a general consensus.

I am looking to make a home-make latex short sword.
My question/idea is that I want it to look like Mayan Macuahuitl sword
296564865_tp.jpg

If I make a regular boffer sword with open cell blocks of 'black obsidian', would it be considered an edged or blunt?

Maybe I'm oversimplifying something here, but I feel like if your rep is intended to simulate an edged weapon, then it's an edged weapon in-game.

Upvote 0
This thread would be better placed in the Rules section rather than Costumes and Props, as the original post is really a rules question regarding a physrep.

But to answer your question, in matters like this, I would leave it to the discretion of your local marshals.

My personal opinion would be that as the original weapon you are basing it on was used more as a sharp club than a sword, my inclination would be to call it a blunt weapon.

Upvote 0
Like Peter said, it's up to local marshals, but I feel like anything that can decapitate a horse is an edged weapon. :)

Upvote 0
Theres a PC in SoMN, Quetz, who wields one of these (boffer made) as an edged weapon.

Upvote 0
I think it's going to be one of those chapter by chapter things, but IMO, if it's repping an edged weapon and is obviously not a blunt, nor an attempt to circumvent rules (which I know this is not), then I would call it an edged weapon. But that's in my non-marshally opinion.
If you want open cell to experiment with, say the word and I'll grab a pile from work.

Upvote 0
Don't blunt weapons have a head volume requirement or something? Maybe I'm remembering another rule set?

Upvote 0
A bludgeoning one handed weapon requires a minimum 8 cubic inches of head/striking surface, 8" of grip and 6" of shaft. As the rep pictured above doesn't have any shaft on it, I would call it edged.

Upvote 0
Looks like edged is the general feeling. Sorry I failed at reading the original post as a custum latex weapon, I was thinking as a standard boffer. With that design in latex, I'd call it edged as well.

Upvote 0
OrcFighterFTW said:
Looks like edged is the general feeling. Sorry I failed at reading the original post as a custum latex weapon, I was thinking as a standard boffer. With that design in latex, I'd call it edged as well.

it wouldn't matter then since you cant thrust with latex

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back