Tactics Against the Sahuagin

Perhaps we should make the additional fortification to the boat not as.... flammable... as wood. There would be no escape from the flames! Maybe some iron or steel plates or shields would do the trick!

No time to armor the boats. We'll do this the old fashioned way...buckets of water.

I don't know what kind of boats you sail, but with sea spray and weather, nothing short of an alchemy fire is going to catch. Some onery tuna throwing ice at us will be the least of our worries if they have that kind of thing.

I heard "fire bows" and my mind jumped to a burning ship before I heard the rest of what you were saying. My apologies!

Brave Adventurers,

The champion of the sahuagin was defeated in Bayside, Bayenna -- its head chopped clean off of its shoulders by Baron Egil Nordheim, and thrown back to the sea to warn those monsters what awaits them when they bring their attacks ashore again. The weapon of the enemy, a stylized spear made of some bluish undersea material, has been captured, ripped from the hands that used it to take the life of Baron Zachary Sparhawk a year ago. Nevermore will the sahuagin use that harpoon against Acarthia!

With victory against the sahuagin in many skirmishes, let us review what we have learned about them.

The sahuagin in general appear able to fight with their own claws. They have crafted weapons, and some of their warriors fight with weapons instead, or a combination of claw and bladed weapon. Their warriors like to use spears, and throw them into crowds of land-dwelling defenders -- My guess that this tactic is more effective undersea than it appears to be on land.

Sahuagin have their own language. They are ruled by a chieftain, effectively a monarch we understand the concept, but what style those monsters use to describe their leader is unknown to us. This monarch is supposedly very well guarded in what may pass for its "palace," and I use that term only for lack of another in description of where a monarch lives.

There are at least two varieties of sahuagin: the deep ones, and the shallow ones. EDITED to add: Apparently the difference is age; green ones from the shallows eventually turn into the blue ones and move to the deep as they age.

The deep ones have blue scales. They are stronger than the green ones from the shallows. Deep ones appear to be immune to Command magics (sleep, charm, shun). They have a particular vulnerability to lightning strikes. The deep ones have powerful casters among them. Some, but perhaps not all of them, appear to be able to speak the Acarthian language. Deep ones cast nets to entangle their enemies. Some of them have the ability to generate bolts of elemental ice in attack -- Only the spell Elemental Shield protects against such attacks wholly as they are not magical in nature, and a Spell Shield will not avail someone hit by this attack.

Those with green scales are from the shallows. They are weaker than their blue cousins, but no slouches. Shallow ones have formidable warriors among them who can slay and eviscerate their opponents masterfully. They are nimble, and appear to evade our attacks with apparent ease. They have casters among them who speak the language of magic -- but none thus far appear to understand truly spoken Acarthian, although perhaps they can mimic the sound of our words even if they don't understand them.

Sahuagin capture, train, and cajole the sharks that we are now calling "threshers" to do their bidding. These creatures exist under the sea naturally, and may attack land dwellers on their own should such prey come their way. When the threshers attack with the sahuagin, they have been riled and frenzied to do so. I know little about their attacks personally -- we need more information about threasher attack styles, and vulnerabilities. We know that sahuagin are without morals against slavery, and their viciousness exceeds such bounds.

What more can you add?

In service to Acarthia,

Dame Katherine Albright
Knight of the Ducal Court of Acarthia

Last edited:
Back