Tell me of your realm

Miragel

To those who hear my words across the mysts;

My name is Baroness Katheryn Westin Elavir of Tiatar within the Kingdom of Acarthia. I am a scholar of history, politics, and most recently - learning of the various realms across Fortannis. I have been privileged to interact with a few individuals across our world, and have even been able to lend aid where possible.

I whisper gently into the mysts in the hopes that I might learn of your realms, your peoples, and the ways common to you. I have recently discovered that Acarthia, where I reside, is much different from the other realms I have engaged in discourse with. This has admittedly peaked my interest. I ask these questions out of curiosity and the hope for pleasant discussion when your slumber is calm.

I would humbly ask of you, from the perspective of your own lands, the following:
  • Are your harvests bountiful, that those not of the adventuring class can live comfortably?
  • Is court a normal part of your experience?
  • Do all races have equal opportunity in politics (so long as they abide by a Code of goodness and righteousness)?
  • How would you describe (in brief) those of your realm?
May each of you rest well.

Kindly,
Baroness K.W. Elavir

Baroness K. W. Elavir,

Me come from Sheltered Lands of Gaden, Roskaria, and Pratorak. Me answer you questions:

Me no know a lot about crops, but Healer Asher cast a Bountiful Harvest in last year, but he probably did something wrong during casting. He do that a lot.

Me in court several times. One time for collect bets on if guilty or no guilty, one time as witness but no see anything, and one time for me own trial for necromancy. Me say this normal. Adventurers do things that make them be in court more. It go with adventuring. Very normal.

Yes, they even protect Kobolds here now, even though Kobold ear jerky be tasty. Those were good days when Kobold hunting make a good living. But no more of that thanks to some fun and tasty food hating adventurers. Me be no surprised if someday soon a Kobold become a squire or something.

Gaden on front line of war with Corrupt. Lots of military and adventurers. New crowned King Talon fight on front line for many years. Not very many resources left. Mostly Humans, some Wylderkins, Sarrs, and High Orges in grasslands.

Roskaria protected behind Gaden, land of crafters and merchants, supply Gaden with what they need for fight Corrupt. Lots of Hoblings and Mystic Wood Elves.

Pratorak full of Stone Elves and High Orcs that do own thing. They no play well with Gaden and Roskaria, but they fight Corrupt too. Pratorak also on front line. Gaden make contact again with Pratorak after more than 20 years of no contact because of Corrupt. Now possible for travel between Gaden and Roskaria again.

Hope this answer questions,

Cho Ko Nu
Honorable Trader

Cho Ko Nu,

Thank you for your insight and experiences. I have a couple of followup questions if you're amiable -

• You mentioned that someone in your realm cast a "Bountiful Harvest" and it went wrong, and that this occurs often. Could you describe these things that "go wrong"?
  • You also mention that adventurers go to court a lot, do they not have nobility to defend their actions?
  • Can you explain what the "Corrupt" is in your lands? Do you refer to chaos creatures?
Thank you kindly Cho Ko Nu, your observations are very helpful.

Kind Regards,
Baroness K.W.Elavir

Asher is a very skilled ritualist, but minor things seem to go wrong with his rituals fairly frequently. Sometimes this means a small mark appears on his arm, sometimes it means some portals open up to places we don't really want to be connected to. I'm fairly Asher's Bountiful Harvest went smoothly, though.

When Cho Ko Nu says adventurers in the Sheltered Lands go to court a lot, he means that he goes to court a lot. Not all of us advocate necromancy or run away to join a group of bandits as soon as combat distracts everyone. The "nobility" keep to their side of things and we keep to ours, for the most part, though my good friend Victor Von Griffin has recently been made a Knight of Gaden and I've seen a handful of nobles take up arms to defend their people when need be.

The Corrupt are a plague upon the land - if I remember the map correctly and if I've read the situation right, about half of the Sheltered Lands are covered by Corrupt territory. They're all linked to a large hivemind called the Weave - I could describe the individual Corrupt, but I'm not sure they're really distinct enough to even call individuals. They're practically mindless when they're disconnected from the Weave. Regardless, the people of the Sheltered Lands (particularly Gaden and Pratorak) have been fighting them for centuries and a great deal of our efforts involve containing the Corrupt or trying to find ways to eventually rid the land of them. They're not undead and they don't use undead as far as I've seen, but they use necromantic magic fairly frequently.

Briar of First Forest
Protector of the Earth Guild of Gaden

Briar of First Forest,

Thank you firstly for your clarifications. I hope you don't mind my further exploration of your response.

Certainly no one of the Kingdom in which I reside advocates necromancy. People are put to death here for it's use. It is an evil craft that goes against our Code of Chivalry.

You seem to indicate that nobles of your realm do not generally interact with the adventurers? The nobles of my lands are leaders in battle and off, setting a positive example for their own lands as well as those we visit. I'm sorry to hear that there is a division where you reside, might I inquire as to the history regarding that? I have come to understand that other planes through the mysts have very different experiences with nobility. The topic is of some curiosity to me.

Could I ask you what makes a corrupt a corrupt? Are there distinguishing features?

Kindly,
Baroness K.W. Elavir

Hi, er, hello your... Baronessness?

I'm Kel, and I'm from Rendezvous, a little island nation, though nation may be too strong a word... anyways...

Our harvests are generally good, though we don't farm in exactly the same way I suppose. We use combination harvesting of many different plants in the same field, and subsist on more fruits and nuts than grains.
Unless you're talking about when the Ogres get together and knock each other around, I don't think we have court the way you'd understand it. The Sedovians nearby probably do, but we rely on our elders rather than nobility.
Well, most anyone can say what they want about how things are run, though Orcs may find it tougher to be heard than others. It's a shame too. Mom remembers when they invaded, but none of the Orcs do really. I may have to bring this up, but I'm afraid there's many more who remember than kids like me.
We're a loose confederation of Ogres, Folk, Barbarians and the Orcs too I guess, kind of. It's a great place to live even if the Ogres get it into their heads to take slight at provocation too easily sometimes.

If you're ever around Sedovia look me up! I'll show you around and we can have a good time.

Good Day Kel of Rendezvous,

Thank you kindly for your reply. I am looking to make some trips through the mysts in the coming months, so I am trying to better understand the many lands far beyond my own.

Your form of agriculture is interesting to me, and would love to hear more about how your peoples subsist on more fruit and nuts, but I won't deafen those who are also sharing this dream with such questions about feeding a population in that fashion. I am interested in hearing about how your people make decisions as it may deepen my understanding of our own local Ogres and Orcs. We have various tribes here that we are attempting to work with to ensure peace int he more "wild" areas of our own lands. Also, if you could clarify - what is the difference between Sedovia and Rendezvous? Are they in the same kingdom?

Additionally, could you explain what you mean by "folk" in your list of those in your confederation?

Thank you kindly for your offer, I will keep that in mind. (Also the appropriate honorific is "Your Excellency", but Your Baronnessness was an excellent gesture, and one that's appreciated!)

Kindly,
Baroness K. W. Elavir

Back