Ten Years ago in Winter's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

I am running and it is night. This is how it always begins, always at night, always running. I’m running from my home, I turn to look at it and it looks so still, so serene I have no idea why I’m running but I am filled with terror and cannot help but run away from my home.

This is when they first find me, they come in a full murder and as I run crows fly along side me, they draw my attention away from my home shrinking in the distance and I look at the closest one, my face reflected in its black eye. It lets out a shriek and the ground in front of me erupts, far enough to the side that I simply run past the eruption, leaves, grass and dirt fly up into the air. I turn to look and notice horns rising out of the ground where the eruption is still occurring.

While my head is turned I do not notice the broken branch ahead of me, as I watch a horned creature dragging itself out of the ground behind me, my foot gets caught and I tumble to the ground. With my momentum now lost I am paralyzed with fear, watching this hulking creature rise from the ground. Fresh dirt and mud cling to the roots that appear to make up it’s body, roots the likes of which you would see connected to a tree. Loose pieces of fur cover it in patches around its body and it’s horns are that of a goats, straight and about a foot long. I am powerless as the massive thing comes out of the ground, from my view it could have been well over sixty feet tall, though I’m sure it is only a tenth that in actuality. It starts to run at me and I remember my fear.

Effortlessly it scoops me up in its arms and continues the pace which I had set when running myself, it grunts with me easily in one arm and gestures. I look around as I’m being carried and notice many more of these creatures begin erupting from the ground, some with skulls for faces, but all with differing horns and fur. They run with us and once they’ve caught up I am flung from the arm of the creature and land on my feet running once more. Now we are a pack, now we are a tribe, now we are one.

My fear starts to bleed out of me and as it does more and more of these earth elementals erupt from the ground and begin to move with me, the crows return to fly with us and they carry with them a bit of wood about my height, I take it with gratitude and continue running.

We have purpose now, I know where we’re running, they know where we’re running, though I do not know the destination. In the distance is only darkness, I see a chasm coming up quickly and now fearless I jump. The gap is easily about ten times longer then I am tall but my confidence and purpose carry me the distance, my goal becoming more and more clear each growing obstacle seems to be dealt with less and less effort.

In the distance are white buildings, I have never seen a building like this before, so tall and straight they have no fur or animal bones holding them up. They are stark and white at the top but black vines of darkness grip them from the ground halfway up the buildings.

The crow is beside me again, I look in its eye and without moving it’s beak it lets me know that I must help cleanse this darkness. I must leave my home and I must use the spirits to destroy this darkness.

The crow caws once more and I wake up.

I look around my small tent, I am but a boy, barely ten years old so my tent will be small for a longer time now. My throat hurts and I realize I must have been screaming, I am covered in a cold sweat and I can hear rustling.

A figure opens the entrance way to my tent, silhouetted in the dark I see an axe in his hand, I yelp and thrust my hand towards him and surprisingly the axe goes flying and skitters across the ground.

“Rothmund,” my fathers voice calls in astonishment as he enters my tent and holds me close, “you were screaming in your sleep, I was worried something was attacking you.” He gives me a stern but worried look as he holds me, “What you did to my axe just then, you controlled the spirits around you, this is what a shaman does. I will let the elders know in the morning.” He’s rocking me gently, I am silent and unused to seeing my father this way, but I must let him know.

“Father,” I say, “I want to be called... Crow from now on”

-----

OOG:

Wanted to post this here, it's the first part of Crow's history, though I don't think I will be posting more. I hope it made sense, I know it's probably a jumbled mess, it is based off a music video I saw when coming up with the concept for Crow and how I wanted him to interact with the world and his power.

Run Boy Run by Woodkid is the song
http://vimeo.com/42615527 is the link to the video, hopefully you all enjoyed this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back