The Beacon #8

Kyrie

Delivered during the past marketday...

Fellow Citizens,

My heart aches when brave spirits are weakened or lost when they could have been saved. I am not just referring to those terrible situations when only an insane gamble might bring about a successful rescue. I refer primarily to those common scenarios adventurers face every market day. When someone is in need of aid we should not waste time discussing the situation at hand from a safe distance or assuming another will care for them. We, as healer or friend, should be running to their side, quickly determining and applying whatever aid is needed - be it healing, curatives or life spells. Those who don’t have the spells or potions to provide the proper aid can find someone who can or help protect a healer so they can reach the fallen or have the time to revive them. There are times when you are just not aware until it’s too late or you are truly prevented from helping but there are other times when it is laziness, debate, confusion, spite or even just lack of concern that delays the aid that could save someone. That is when I am troubled. No one should ever lose their life out of neglect. Even if we think we might not get there in time we should do everything we can to prove ourselves wrong. Life is always worth fighting for.

This Beacon is lit by those who give of themselves, sometimes all of themselves, to the defense of others. Those who charge into battle not for profit, but to defend or aid someone else - these people are close to my heart. Why, you ask? You think these rash fellows do more harm than good? I agree that rushing into battle with little regard for one’s own safety can be foolish, dangerous and costly. I agree too that sometimes the cost can be great. When someone risks their own life in an attempt to save or defend another, there is a chance that both lives are lost and that is indeed costly. Yet there is also a chance that both return safely. The hope required to make that decision is inspiring and powerful. Some find it natural to take such leaps, to value the possibility of success over the chance of failure. Others must battle their logic each time. Either way, I am worried but uplifted every time I see it happen. Every time it succeeds I believe we are all made stronger. There is value in being prepared and cautious, but sometimes it takes a little recklessness to find true heroism.

-Kyrie Ave

Back