The Borderlands

Should we keep the Borderlands?

• Yes, make it a part of Kundirk

• No, I am alright leaving it behind

Results are only viewable after voting.

Banradi

Adept
Hello,

The Borderlands is a floating pocket of mist that can be accessed in Azyl. It is home to Dragonreach's Duchy of Thorncryf, the Rosewood, "Troll Daddy", the Freygurd nation, Stonerest, and many other things. It is largely drained of physical resources (wood, ore, and so on).

The Borderlands attaches and detaches from different lands through 'obelisks'. There are at least two, and of them I know the location of what appears to be the 'main' obelisk. These obelisks can be manipulated to serve a different purpose, and therefore prevent it from leaving Kundirk (for example, having them operate as Waymaker Stones). It is already beginning to detach, and can take anywhere from days to years to finish detaching.

In addition (through my vision on these obelisks), it appears that 'something' is watching over these obelisks, but I am not sure what. I would guess that is why we have seen a number of Dark Scary Tree Tribe kobolds appear when we have attempted to research it previously, and has caused us great difficulty in the past. I assume that it would take a large number of people to successfully tackle this issue.

In short, should we keep the Borderlands attached or not? Please make sure to vote as well as express why.

Safe Travels,
Banradi

Attachments

• Borderlands.png
    Borderlands.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
My overall interactions with the Borderlands have been negative. There are numerous problems that flow from there to DragonsReach.

I understand there are some good people/creatures there.
I am fine with allowing them to relocate to DragonsReach.

I do not know of any meaningfully helpful or good aspect within it, that could not relocate to DragonsReach.

I vote we do not alter it's natural flow and allow it to leave.

-Gideon

This is my homelands and my brothers and sisters reside there. We are fighting now against the Freyguard. Are we not heroes and adventurers?

Can you watch a ship taking water and sinking, not very quickly, but sinking with people aboard unaware that this is happening. Would you not help these people? Would you not save my family?

I would offer them another boat to rescue them, perhaps even called a lifeboat, especially if the original boat was beyond saving.

You relocated to Kundirk, why can't your brothers and sisters?

-Gideon

Naomi, Mathis, and I share similar opinions on this matter. What purpose does the Borderlands serve? So far, it seems that a lot of our issues right now stem from the Borderlands.

-Banradi

I would counter that this life boat needs to find a port, do you have a suitable chunk of livable land for these people to move to? The land lacks lacks material resources, but it's not unlivable. Sticking with this boat analogy, I would recommend patching holes in the sinking ship until you have a solution. This was possibly a valid option years ago before they became part of dragonreach and a portion of our adventuring community. But now? We have meddled too much to just drop everything without making an effort. Make a proposal to duke Hayward to leave the lands, and relocate. If you have their support then we can stop trying to protect people that helped us in our time of need.
I don't think much more needs to be said on that if your responses are going to be so nonchalant as "what can they offer me and why don't they leave?"
Ardos Irani

It's less about what can they offer me, it's more about the problems that come from it.
"This burning ship is docked to my ship, starting to catch my ship on fire and I can't put out the source of the flames. Let me save the people on fire, and let the burning ship go away"

Also, tons of land is available. Didn't half the population die a few years ago?
I think the kingdom just announced they were taking in refugees from the Unhinteredlands. Clearly the rulers of DragonsReach feel their is room.

... then we can stop trying to protect people that helped us in our time of need.

There are so many times of need in Kundirk's past. I am not making light of your claim, I honestly don't know of something helpful that has come from the Borderlands. Please enlighten me.

-Gideon

Last edited:
There are so many times of need in Kundirk's past.
Sure. But let's just stick to the obvious one then. Where without their army and the assistance of the rose crusade, we likely would have had a much more deadly time fighting the world ending dragon. Or perhaps the time when the duke and his family permanently killed Joseph, who was fully ready to kill the whole town of adventures AFTER we reduced his power. But again, I don't think we need to talk about what they have done for us. If you're going to speak for the king, perhaps you should have more facts to back it up than the rulers are inviting refugees.
I'm not even saying fix the issues. I'm saying get off your high horses and recognize that there is an issue that needs attention sooner rather than later.
Make a proposal to duke Hayward to leave the lands, and relocate. If you have their support then we can stop trying to protect people that helped us in our time of need.
the rest of that quote of mine was make a proposal not an excuse. I would kindly ask that those of you that seem to think that no action is a healthy response to recognize that we're asking for you to consider a plan more than "what if we don't help though?"
Quite frankly I'm not sure there is more to be said. If you all refuse to help, I'm still going to do everything in my power to protect the people in the borderlands, and I'm sure the adventurers from or tied to those lands will help me. There is no use in me trying to prove my point to someone whose opinion will not be changed.
Ardos Irani

I'm sorry if asking for additional information somehow implied my position cannot be changed.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

-Gideon

When did the adventurers gain the authority to add or remove portions of the kindgom?

I'm not about to forsake the people of Hent because helping them is inconvenient

Lukas

I have been thinking about this for a little while now.
In fact my limited ability to mediate has also found focus on this.

There are people in a land currently not only attached to us BUT recognized partly as a duchy of Dragonreach that need our help.
That alone puts it within the kingdoms protection and dictation . In truth nothing we decide matters if the King decides he wishes to keep lands he has named his own with a recognized and loyal Duke leading it.

If we are asking for a vote- on if the adventures will decide to help the people of the Boarderlands - then I will protect and help people no only in need but people of our Kingdom. The Healing House serves ALL by the grace of Kingdom- There is a a duchy in the borderlands that is our kingdom- we will serve it. I will serve the borderlands.

If the kingdom and the people of the borderlands agree to being safely moved to more of sable part of the Kingdom- I support that and will assist in anyway I can.

However - I ask you to consider what you are asking- as Ardos said large parts of the Borderlands is not flush with resources - but we have Magic and rituals to assist in much of that. People have lived there this long- and are likely like most of our kingdom rebuilding from the terror of Bleak and in their case a mad Duke and a vengeful Green Dragon. Sounds like they are need a helping hand - not our backs.

You are asking people to leave their homes and their lives - for uncertainty and refugee status in our kingdom- THEIR kingdom...do we know better than them? Do we have the space and resources for that - instead of improving their home ?

Parts of the boarderlands are our recognized and sovereign kingdom- that alone should mean we work to keep them.

It is filled with more innocents and those seeking help from problems- that should be nagging on all our spirits.

This will not be easy and it will not be fast- but we must do what is best for the people of our Kingdom - if we resettle them with the approval and support of Our sovereign or we figure out how to keep them attached.

My vote means nothing but I vote to protect the people first and for most.

Yours In Service,
Cyn

Guild Mistress of the Earth Guild of Koroshi
Artifact of the Dragon's Claw
Founder of Forgotten Hope
Mother

"My Life For Theirs"
"Defending the Dealings of Time and Space"

Gideon, you started your post with
It's less about what can they offer me, it's more about the problems that come from it.
and ended it asking what thing they did to help us. The duke got his title somehow, so I thought that was a moot point going in. I just don't feel like trying to change your mind. But if I can reach just one of the passive people who legitimately don't know what we're fighting for, then this made it worth it.
Ardos Irani

Duke's get titles for all kinds of reasons, aiding in stopping some world ending Dragon is not a requirement.

A great point has been brought up. What does the King think of the situation? Does he know? What about the Duke? Perhaps it would be easier to keep the Borderlands attached if we had the resources and backing of the kingdom.

Ardos and others, you have convinced me. I will wait to hear what the king thinks of the situation.

-Gideon

This sounds pretty unanimous. Let us aim to address this issue on Friday.

-Banradi

To clarify something that Bandradi stated earlier, I have concerns about the stability of the Borderlands. I have not formed an opinion on what can/should be done about the fact the land is drifting away from Kundirk.
I do believe that if the Borderlands are to be part of the greater continent of Kundirk that it will be adventurers that make that happen, but that is the extent of my thoughts on the matter.

Mathis

My apologies Mathis. That was the goal of my earlier statement, but failed to convey it clearly.

-Banradi

Back