The Future of Season Passes

Draven

Count
With the advent of the CMA, I expect Season Passes, should they continue, will likely just be "We expect X blankets to be available, so here's (X * 30) GS for this low-low price of $Z. Offer not available for players who participate in our campaigns."

Sound about right?

I assume when he said Season Passes, he meant Pay-no-Play Season Passes. Which would exclude local players as they would be attending events.

That said, hometown players may buy that as well for other goblin purchases/monthly blankets.

Yeah, I would definitely not want to de-incentivize people from local contributions of time and effort (staff roles, NPCing) by ultra-cheap GS packages at the beginning of the year, nor would I want to de-incentivize out-of-chapter donations that help keep a game afloat by pricing those Season Passes too high.

Making your actual player base pay more for the same package seems like terrible customer service to me. And likely to make some people spend money out of chapter rather then in chapter as they would prefer to get the max value out of it.

It’s not really poor customer service. The intent of these packages is to limit them to event purchases; they’ve always been that way.

The CMA does change how event purchases work, now, and they aren’t gatekept by Logistics teams anymore.
I suppose a chapter can, at its discretion, continue to have events manually applied by their Logistics teams rather than simply award GS, but that seems unnecessary.

Edit: As for people spending money out of chapter rather than in chapter, that’s a thing that’s been going on for at least nine years now, and we seem fine.

You do realize you would get gobbies for games you attended or where getting credit for that weekend else where already right? So effectively you always could get gobbies this way for the better rate, why change it now?

Hell, many chapters let you buy season passes later in the year and just gave gobbies for games you could not get credit for because it was past 3 months.

Also many chapters run drives that give a better ratio per dollar then a season pass anyhow. To exclude your actual players seems needless and off putting for no real reason.

Last edited:
Yeaaaaaah, but you'd get it slowly, over the course of a year, rather than front-loaded. That makes it less likely anyone would locally buy GS that way. I guess they could, if they're willing to wait 12 months to get the full benefit.

I'd like to point out that I'd much rather that a chapter deleted Season Passes than basically de-incentivized earning them by volunteerism, and I'd be pretty vocal about it, locally.

Back