The google ads here

So we've had these banner ads up for a few weeks now. What do people think? Are they real distracting? Should I take them down?

The purpose is to raise enough money hopefully to pay for the Bulletin Board hosting, which isn't that much but then again, the ads don't bring in that much either. (You can all help by clicking on one every week or so. If you do more than that, Google will know you are trying to stuff the ballot box and won't count them)

On one hand I kind of worry that they aren't really what we want for our image, but on the other, almost every single BB these days has them so most people just ignore them...

Opinions?

To be honest, I don't notice them much. I'm so used to seeing some sort of banner ad everywhere, that I basically just ignore 'em.

Though if it helps pay for the site I'll try to pay more attention...

Mike do the banners track clicks based on IP or based on login?

I don't mind them being there... it hadn't occurred to me why they were though, just figured it was a quirk of the new service. Yeah, I've seen a couple things that looked interesting, so if it helps pay for the boards, I'll click one here and there too.

Doesn't bother me. Compared to most sites, the ads on here are hardly noticable.

At least they're not flashing telling me that I'm one click away from winning a free iPod or that I'm the 999,999 visitor!

I think the latter would be rediculously unbelieveable.

I've actually barely noticed the ads.

I dont like the ads, give us a bad image

Jorundr said:
it's a shame we cant tailor em to larping and such but doesnt bother me at all.

Yeah, strangely enough, there is no such option. They look for keywords and base the ads on that. So we keep getting ads for things that have "Alliance" in them that have nothing to do with us.

Google has some smart people, I can just about Guarntee we'll see more larp ads over time (I'm 100% sure they track which ones/categories actually get clicked) :geek:

Back