The Laws of Andar

Bond

Let it be known that these are the laws and regulations of Andar

I. Right of succession of the Monarchy
a. The crown of Andar shall pass to the crown prince or princess on the death or abdication of the ruling monarch
b. The crown prince or princess shall be chosen from amongst those of ducal rank within the kingdom.
c. Should an heir not be chosen, should the succession be challenged, or should a time of civil unrest be in force when the Monarchy stands vacant, the crown shall pass to the hands of the Head of the Earth Guild of Andar, and a Council of Counties shall be called
i. A Council of Counties shall consist of all of the sitting Counts and Countesses
ii. The council shall have the sole power to select the monarchy from amongst those of Ducal rank.

II. The naming of landed nobility, and the rights and privileges they hold
a. Here are listed the ranks of nobility within Andar. The crown holds the sole power of granting title within the lands of Andar, save those of Ducal rank who may presume to name Lords and Ladies of Court, Baronial Estates and Baronies of Court subject to the pleasure of the Monarchy.
i. Monarchy
ii. Crown Prince/Princess
iii. Ducal Estates
iv. County Estates
v. Baronial Estates
vi. Baronies of the court
vii. Knights of the realm
viii. Lords and Ladies of the court
ix. Squires of the Realm
x. Pages of The Court
b. Of the above listed ranks of nobility, the noble Estates shall have sovereignty over the lands granted them by the crown, in fealty to the crown and subservient to their wishes.
i. They shall keep and maintain a levy of troops, arms and armor for the defense of the realm
ii. They shall hold forth taxes from the produce of their lands for the maintenance of the realm
iii. They shall administer justice, low and high, as befits their station.
iv. They shall be subject only to High Justice, being presumed innocent of crimes until proof be presented and accepted against them, and hold the right of appeal over their sovereign lord.
1. Baronial estates are subject to their County and may appeal to the Ducal Estate.
2. Counties are subject to their Ducal Estate and may appeal to the Monarchy
3. Squires shall carry noble right to high justice, subject to their knights, and may appeal to the Baronial Estate in which they reside.
4. Lords and Ladies of court are subject to the Baronial Estate in which they reside.
5. The Monarchy, as well as the Crown Prince/Princess stands subject to the Council of Nobles.
a. The Council of Nobles shall consist of all those holding Rank of Estate
b. They hold the sole power to remove the Crown from the hands of the Monarchy for high crimes against the Kingdom of Andar
v. The Noble Estate may assign such judges, jailers, and enforcers of laws they shall see fit to administer low justice and maintain the common peace
vi. Only those of noble rank may own their land, holding privilege over the profits of that land, save only the taxes levied by their sovereign lords and the Monarchy.
1. The Monarchy holds ultimate title over all land, and may grant lease of lands within their realms to those they wish.
a. Those holding lease shall have the rights of ownership only insofar as granted in the lease, and shall have succor within the law as landholders.
vii. All of noble rank, save Pages of the Court who have not reached their majority of 14 years, may dispense low justice over the subjects of the realms and may serve summary judgment subject to the Baronial Estate in which the judgment is passed
c. Rights of high justice
i. Those subject to High Justice shall be presumed innocent until they are proven guilty
ii. They may chose right of trial by combat
1. Trial by combat may be refused by their sovereign lord.
2. If trial by combat is refused, the case is appealed as is their rights within the law.
iii. Those awaiting high justice may be granted bond by their sovereign lord and allowed freedom at the risk of that bond
1. Should bond be refused, the case is appealed as is their rights within the law
iv. Those held for High Crimes against the Kingdom of Andar may not be granted bond.
d. Succor of the people
i. At all times, those holding noble title must grant succor to those in need, and shall take only such payment as shall be deemed fair and equitable.

III. Crimes against nobility
a. Nobility may not judge cases of crimes against themselves
b. Theft of property of a noble shall be punishable by the removal of one finger per offense, not to be regenerated for one year unless the offender dies and resurrects. And shall include recompense of at least twice the value of the item stolen
c. Destruction of property of a noble shall be punishable by at least recompense of twice the value of the property destroyed, and is at a maximum a capital offense.
i. In cases of arson of a noble residence (Leased or Estate), the offender shall be put to death by fire.
d. Slander of a noble title shall be any statement of sedition or reproach which causes damage to the noble Estate and is punishable by at the least confinement and fines appropriate to the offense and is at maximum a capital offense.
e. Assault of a noble shall be defined as causing physical harm, through action or inaction, to the noble Estate.
i. Striking a noble shall warrant incarceration and lashes in the public square
ii. Causing harm requiring healing shall be considered a capital offense
iii. Causing, through action or inaction, the death of a noble shall be treason and be punishable by Obliteration.
f. Treason shall be defined as the offense of attempting, by overt acts, to overthrow Noble Estate or to kill or personally injure the Sovereign Lords or the Sovereign's Lords’ families. This can only be met by the permanent death of the guilty.

IV. Ambassadors of Allies of Andar shall have all rights of nobility, save those of the Noble Estate. They shall be subject to High Justice of the Ducal Estate in which they reside.

V. Rights of the Merchants and Guilds of Andar
a. As the merchants and guilds of Andar are those which give benefit to the land, the Monarchy, and the good people of Andar, it shall be deemed that none shall interfere with the good and legal trade of goods and services
i. The act of banditry, being the attacking and taking of the goods and monies in transit from place to place, shall be a capital crime
ii. The act of thievery, being the removal of goods from the storage, domicile or place of business of a merchant or guild, shall be punished by imprisonment as befits the crime and restitution of the stolen goods
iii. The act of arson against merchant or guild shall be a capital crime
iv. Destruction of the property of a guild or merchant shall be punished by imprisonment as befits the crime and restitution of the destroyed property
b. A guild shall be defined as an association of merchants, scholars or craftsmen gathered to do business together to their mutual benefit and the good of Andar
c. Merchants and guilds who have lease of a shop, guild house or warehouse shall have the right to purchase access to High Justice
i. The price shall be determined by the Noble Estate in which they reside
ii. They shall have no right of appeal, save those cases in which trial by combat is refused them
iii. The Earth Guild of Andar shall have all rights of High Justice
iv. The Magistratum shall have all rights of High Justice
d. Merchants and guilds who have lease of a shop, guild house or warehouse shall register with the Anagraph of the Noble Estate in which they reside and shall be responsible for the paying of taxes on their goods or services as determined by the Noble Estate in which they reside
e. Guilds shall have the power to give loans and issue bonds, and to assess interest on those loans and bonds as agreed to by all parties

VI. A naming of crimes of merchants and guilds
a. Usury shall be defined as an unconscionable or exorbitant rate or amount of interest and shall be punished by surrender of right to the loan or bond and restitution of the interest in the loan
b. The selling of those goods deemed to be illegal within the Noble Estate in which they are sold shall be punished by the seizure of all goods of the merchant and fines and/or imprisonment as befits the crime
c. The selling of goods or services which are found to be fraudulent shall be punished by imprisonment and fines as befits the crime and restitution of the cost of goods or services
d. The selling of goods which aid or promote Chaos and Necromancy shall be punished by fines and imprisonment as befits the crime

VII. Low Justice
a. All those not of Noble Rank who have not the means or the right to purchase High Justice shall be subject to Low Justice
i. They shall be considered guilty as they are accused, lest they prove themselves innocent
ii. They shall be subject to the justice of the Noble Estate in which the crime is committed
iii. They shall have only right to appeal to the person of Baronial Estate in which the crime is committed
1. The Noble Estate may refuse appeal as they see fit and just.
2. The noble estate may, at their discretion, assign a jury of peers to decide the appeal
iv. They shall have right of trial by combat against only those not of Noble Rank or registered guild members and merchants

VIII. A naming of the crimes against the people of Andar
a. Necromancy
i. It shall be considered a capital crime to use Chaos to raise, control, create, aid, or heal undead creatures or constructs
ii. It shall be considered a capital crime to use Chaos to harm any person
iii. It shall be the responsibility of all good people of Andar to act against Necromancy in all of its forms
b. Disturbing the common peace
i. It shall be considered a crime to create civic disturbance through overt actions of disturbance of the common peace through actions of wanton destruction, seditious speech, brawling, assault on the people of Andar, or disruption of trade and commerce. This shall be punishable by fines as befits the crime
c. Kidnapping
i. Kidnapping shall be defined as seizing and detaining or carrying away by unlawful force or fraud any good person of the Kingdom of Andar and shall be punished by imprisonment and fines as befits the crime
d. Fraud
i. The intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right shall be punished by restitution of twice the value surrendered, imprisonment as befits the crime, or both
e. Theft
i. Theft amongst the good people of Andar shall require restitution of twice the value stolen, imprisonment as befits the crime, or both
f. Banditry
i. Banditry, being the disruption of travel for the practice of plundering in gangs, shall be considered a capital crime
g. Murder
i. Murder is the unlawful and intentional killing of a sentient, thinking being by another and shall be considered a capital crime
h. Arson
i. Arson against the people of Andar shall be punished by restitution of the value of property destroyed and imprisonment as befits the crime. In the event of Gross Arson, being arson committed against a group of buildings or property, it shall be considered a capital offense
i. Flight from Justice
i. Those accused of crimes against the good people of Andar, The Noble Estate or the Monarchy who take flight from Justice shall be considered outlaw, and it shall be considered the responsibility of all good people of Andar to refuse them respite, succor, or comfort. The shall have no rights or privileges under the law
j. Aiding an Outlaw
i. Giving aid to an outlaw shall result in those giving aid being considered outlaw as well

Back