The Origins of Magic

Robb G

Baron
I'm interested in discussing the origins of Magic. Earth, Chaos, Celestial, all of it. Any sages out there that can refer me to books, I am willing to buy. If none exist, that's a shame.

As an addendum to this discussion, for thsoe with the knowledge, does the origins of Magic in Fortannis differ from that of Tyrra? (I only ask as I am originally Evendarrian and am curious).

Any help would be much appriciated.

-Wizard Nathan Westwind
Apprentice, Fairdale Mages Guild

My people have a story of how We frist learned earth magic. Know the story might help in the learning of where earth magic comes from.

Walgar of the Wolf Tribe

Walgar,

I am very interested in all the information i can gather about this subject. I am not sure if your people write their stories down or if they are always told instead. If the latter, I will need to find a Vansir who can tell me this story then.

-Wizard Nathan Westwind
Apprentice, Fairdale Mages Guild

In Caldaria there are varius legends concerning the orign of Celestial magic which have lately been somewhat prooven. If you can find me in Fairdale, I would be glad to share it with you.
Until the Moon is no more,
Amaranthus Landcharmer

dreadpiratebill said:
In Caldaria there are varius legends concerning the orign of Celestial magic which have lately been somewhat prooven. If you can find me in Fairdale, I would be glad to share it with you.
Until the Moon is no more,
Amaranthus Landcharmer

**QUORK**

Watch out for this guy, Nathan. He'll start teling you a story and the mesmerize you with the amazing shininess of his armor. Believe me, it'll blow your mind away! I nearly lost an eyeball.

MAdcAp

I was once apprenticed to a Skald. I can share with you the stories you seek Goodman Westwind. We can discuss it further when I make it back to Fairdale in a tenday.

Squire Ulthoc of Nordenn, Warrior of Sheep Tribe.

FOIGofWar said:

Mmmm... Sheep Tribe.... sounds tasty...

In the case of Ulthoc, he's much more likely to be eaten.

-Tieran

I've been attacked by bigger and badder.... somehow I keep coming back.

To explain the title, Goodwoman Marcena, my people have for centuries lived in tribes. These tribes take their names from the wild beasts in the lands where the live. My tribe comes from the rocky heights of the North Warden Mountains, an area whose name has shortened to Nordenn over the years. In this land, the curl horned Mountain Ram is the king of beasts: stubborn, strong,honorable, and quick to rise to defense of others of its herd. Many generations ago, the Cheiftain of Ram Tribe lost an honor duel to an Orc Boss of the Bloody Finger tribe. Since then, while we have maintained the heart and strength of the Ram in our hearts and spirits, we must call ourselves the Sheep Tribe until we can win our clan name back. Every summer our champions battle against the champions of the Bloody Finger- I have even fought for the clan twice myself- but every year we have been just short of winning the duel.

Squire Ulthoc,

I am asleep at my desk in my new scroll shop in Fairdale... quill in hand... unable to pen the words upon the parchment... "I call forth..."

I keep replaying our talk in my mind. I am troubled and I do not know how what I am going to do. The world keeps getting bigger and more complex the more I learn. I thought it would be the other way. I am a fool on a fools errand and human to boot. I can't possibly live long enough to figure this out... I wish I could find the answers I seek. but how do i even start? where is the begining? who do I go to?

forgive me, these are not questions for you... i am most greatful for all the wisdom you have shared with me.

I wish I could dream about something else...

-Nathan Westwind

Wizard Nathan,
The quest for knowledge is everlasting. It has no set goal or destination. No being can ever know all that there is to know or uncover all the mysteries of existence. There will always (and I use this absolute with utmost care) be unanswered questions. It is the journey that is important. It is true that the world becomes more complex the more one learns. This is because with each new subject you understand, your mind opens to countless new possibilites. Do not give in to frustration. If you do, you will allow your obstacle to conquer you.
Ren Suzume

I have one word for you Nathan...

Travel.

The more you see and experience, the more you learn.

~Glorianna

Goodwizard Westwind,

I can only agree with what my Liege and Goodwife Suzume have said. No one will ever know everything... but if they try, they may learn and know enough. Meeting new people in new places helps... in my own experience, I know far more now than when I first left the Reclaim.

You have your gifts for a reason. Find out why. Find out how to use them best- not for yourself, but for all peoples of the Duchy and Kingdom. I have found you to be intelligent, reasoning, and able to be wise when needed. I consider myself lucky to be able to call you friend, regardless of all other concerns.

If you'll pardon me... I express things in the ways I know. The greatest metals have a strength all their own, but become something far greater when combined with others and tested through fire and pressure. You have strength- not of arm, but of mind and will. Take that strength. Combine it with experience and wisdom. Temper yourself. Hone your edge. It is only in striving to be the best that we can that we succeed, and leave an example for others to follow.

Squire Ulthoc of Nordenn

Back