Resolved The state of Archery in v2.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadway

So I don't use archery for my characters, but I was looking at picking it up as an option for my fighter character. Since I'd never used archery I started reading up on the rules for it and I was "surprised" at what I found.

Bows and Crossbows do not count as ranged weapons, nowhere in the current book are they listed as ranged weapons​
Bows and Crossbows do not make weapon attacks, they make packet attacks (pg 29)​
As short bows and Long bows are both medium weapons, both of them can be used with two weapon fighting. (so yes long bow + longsword is legit)​
As Bows and Crossbows are neither ranged weapons nor do they make weapon attacks they can not use nearly all of the stealth or martial skills, most notably Back attacks, Back Stabs, Crit attacks, and Weapon profs.​

So is this actually how things are supposed to be with bows/crossbows?

Bows and Crossbows do not count as ranged weapons, nowhere in the current book are they listed as ranged weapons
"Ranged Weapon" is not a specific mechanical category into which we sort weapons, much like "Melee Weapon" is also not a mechanical category into which we sort weapons.
The phrase "ranged weapon" as used in the skill descriptions, references the fact that a weapon can be used to make an attack via packet.

Bows and Crossbows do not make weapon attacks, they make packet attacks (pg 29)
Correct. Bows and crossbows are not swung at a target, like they would be if they were used to make weapon attacks. Instead, they allow the wielder to make an attack using a packet.
This doesn't prevent those attacks from using the Weapon qualifier.

As short bows and Long bows are both medium weapons, both of them can be used with two weapon fighting. (so yes long bow + longsword is legit)
Correct. This upgrade to the Two Weapons skill was intentional.

As Bows and Crossbows are neither ranged weapons nor do they make weapon attacks they can not use nearly all of the stealth or martial skills, most notably Back attacks, Back Stabs, Crit attacks, and Weapon profs.
The fact that you do not swing a bow or crossbow at a target does not preclude them from using those skills. I can see where some of the wording might lead you to that conclusion, but it is an incorrect one. We'll work on making the text more clear where needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back