They were wear'n kilts! Yes, kilts!

Kevar

Fighter
Marshal
I am making a barbarian scholar...and as you can see from my avatar I am in need of a kilt. I have looked around at a few different places, however I have not been able to find a good stout kilt that can take some use. If anyone has a place where I may purchase one, or if there is a gifted seamstress out there will a knack for high quality durable kilts let me know please. I know that I wont get one for my first event as this character, but I figure the sooner the better :p

-Brent (SoMN Chapter)

Ultilikilts are more designed for everyday wear, which would make most of them excellent for the rigors of LARPing. However, I don't believe they offer any tartan patterns, which is probably what most LARPers would want. That being said, I've known a few Utilikilt owners and their kilts do appear quite well constructed and durable. I've always wanted one but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks for the links, the uilitikilts are a lil different then what I am looking for because they don't have the right pattern, but I appreciated the idea! and I must say that medieval costuming website is awesome! Thanks a ton!

Are you looking for a modern kilt, or the historical greatkilt? The greatkilt is just 4.5 or so yards of 60" wide fabric (I tend to use upholstery fabrics since wool is so expensive), and a belt.

Wraith said:
Are you looking for a modern kilt, or the historical greatkilt? The greatkilt is just 4.5 or so yards of 60" wide fabric (I tend to use upholstery fabrics since wool is so expensive), and a belt.

go with the full 9 yard kilt....what fun that is getting set up....my buddy wore one for a prom....took us the whole day before to set up the kilt in the garage, on plastic.then roll him up in it for prom...it was fun...we did have the "best dressed" table....

That is impressive...I think...haha! Well I found a really sweet one, so thanks for the help :) I will be the sickest looking barbarian around!

MKing said:
Wraith said:

go with the full 9 yard kilt....what fun that is getting set up....my buddy wore one for a prom....took us the whole day before to set up the kilt in the garage, on plastic.then roll him up in it for prom...it was fun...we did have the "best dressed" table....

Actually, 4.5 yards of modern width is the 'whole nine yards', as hand looms for weaving wool were usually around 30 inches wide. So we'd cut the 9 yards pf 60" wide in half and sew them together to get the kilt around 4 feet wide by 13 long. :D I'm a pretty big dude, and the number of pleats that 9 full yards of fabric would make would be a bit much even on me!

yeah...it took a couple of tries to get it right....the boy had a HUGE A$$ a couple of times...at the time he weight about 200 pd and stands about 5'9" :lol: :lol:

Back