To Ashbury, With Love

henrythemad

Artisan
Dear Ashbury,

I’m very sad that I won’t be there to be part of the end of your story. I want you to know that myself and a group of “old timers” from up North were planning on attending but we didn’t quite get all of our ducks in a row to secure sleeping accommodations, so I am happy (and perhaps a bit proud) to leave it the capable hands of the folx who are going to be there. They will give you the proper sendoff that you deserve.

We met in 1998. Through you I found a place that made me feel like I wasn’t an outcast you provided me a place where I could belong. And over the twenty-one years I’ve seen you grow up – as I have grown up. Over the years you’ve become open more and more open to provide a home to other folx – and providing them support and inclusion and an increasingly safe place to be their authentic selves.

Through you and through people I’ve met through you I have learned about inclusivity. I’ve learned what I could do to make a place welcoming to new people. I’ve learned how to address a crowd and give a speech with no preparation. I’ve learned what it was to be the most powerful being on the field and how to use that power responsibly. I have learned to be a leader. I’ve learned to let go. I’ve bashed every part of my body repeatedly against padded weapons, rocks, boards, and trees. I’ve had awful poison ivy. I have learned what it was to be Greater Unslept. I have mourned. I have shouted in frustration, I have laughed until it hurt, I have gained and lost friendships, I have sobbed, I have fought, I’ve quit, I’ve come back, I have told stories and been enraptured by the stories of others. I have fallen in love over and over again - and I am better for it.

Through you I have met an incredible array of fantastic friends – I count them among the most influential people in my life. I’ve shared you with my best friend (we started the same weekend) and it has been, time and time again, the reason why we had a reason to hang out. I’ve been to weddings of fellow Ashbans – I’ve met children created by fellow Ashbans. Four people you introduced me to I’ve ended up living with, which doesn’t count the two I’ve dated, nor does it count the one was kindly enough to marry me. Six of the eight people in my wedding party I met through you, and one was created by people who met through you – all told, nearly half of our guests were because of you. I’ve moved cross country to come home to you. There are books written and published about you, now. I’m even fortunate enough to be one of those authors.

I’ve been to the funerals of two great people who I’ve met on your imaginary shores.

Though your story is over its retelling will go on and on. Those memories have changed people, made them better, brought joy – let people explore changes in their identity, let them work out some things that maybe they couldn’t work out in the real world.

You will continue to cause laughter and amazement long after you have your final weekend.

In the words of Dylan Thomas:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

You have one more epic weekend to create new memories. One more chance to shake the world. One more chance for people to flee for their lives or sacrifice their lives for a noble cause. One more weekend of dodging the darkness – or embracing it. One more weekend to make a story that will live on in the hearts and minds of those who have experienced it. But don’t you worry – you’ve got a fantastic group of people coming to carry you home.

Have a great Last Weekend, Ashbury!!

I will miss you.
With Love,
Henry the Mad

Former Ashbury HOP, former Ashbury NPC committee chair, former Ashbury Props committee chair, former Ashbury Newsletter committee chair. Stormbreak HOP. Former Plot member, Caldaria.

Qualin Brightoak – Amani Ranger/Vintner, Deegan – son of Woalf, son of Unalla – Vansir of the RAM TRIBE! Enko Queeko / Ryban Weatherlight, Chimpanzee / Child of Light – from Synvia

Baron Sir Harrison Ryatt – Nordenn, Pedratos (Aka Yech the Sickness King of Halloween), Aleonar Thardic (Thessi Gryphon), Tathink – Elven Resistance fighter to Galanthian Rule! Harkan Irontail (Gnoll Sheriff), The Mastermind (Polka-dotted Goblin Lich), Prince Sylva (an honest friend), Tree of Shades (twice), countless “undead lieutenants”, dozens of “farmers who need adventurers to help me”, thousands of thieves, murderers, villains, necromancers, and almost always “hey, just give me a monster card that swings 5’s with about 40 body.”

Well spoken. I remember almost every single one of those characters. In fact, although I also will be unable to make the final event due to putting real life first, I was privileged to be able to make the final Nordenn event and bring a piece of one of those characters with me. The Ryatt bow was in Aelawen’s hands that weekend smiting just a few more undead on his behalf. With any luck, we’ll get to play together again. In the meantime, rest assured that all that is of the world of Ashbury travels with me as well, as with many others. Nowhere does it say “Everywhere and always... till the campaign ends.”

::virtual hugs::
Sheila Haswell
Not typing that many character names on my phone, but you know them all

Back