To my First Born.

Gunnar

Squire
*The voice is soft, and subdued.*

I am sorry, little Cub.

I am sorry that I did not come to you sooner - that while your father had always had his best intentions, he brought you to places and things you could not unsee...that I should have shielded you from.

I am sorry that I could not raise you the way I wished - that you were mostly full grown by the time you had come to me. A whisper was all I knew of the parts of you that had shattered inside, after Vandlar and the golems that plagued you. All I wished was to return my daughter back to herself, perhaps to a better and stronger spirit than where she had begun. Please forgive me that I could not save you...that I did not prepare you enough for what was inevitably to come.

No parent should have to bury their child. It should be me in your stead, facing the gates of the Forever Hunt, and you here.

Still breathing.

Still living.

Still full of the fire that reminded me of younger, better days in a place brighter than this...than what the false King has made it.

I would like to have brought you home, to the Veldt, to see the people who would be your Grandsire and mother, who would have welcomed you into their pride.

Our Pride.

People speak to me of you having come into your own, and I knew it well...I had seen the adult you had become, and was more than proud of the woman whom I had helped raise...but I will always regret that the cub did not get the chance she should have..that the candle was snuffed out when it was just about to burn its brightest.

I grieve for you, almost every moment of every bell.

You were stripped away and stolen...shattered while I was gone, like many before you, and many after.

I am so sorry my Child.

Please forget the pain of this place. Of that which hurt you, or made you afraid. Understand that the whispers of the Forever Hunt are all that matter now. Hopefully your father will join you soon, if he has not already.

That both of you are at peace, and know nothing more than the thrill of the Hunt and the nourishment of the Prey...that Void no longer plagues him, and that the creature who took you did not get your spirit.

And that both of you are free.

Save a fat buck for me. I may be a while.

Hopefully.

-Z

Back