To those who stood with me against Arienne

Gwendara

Fighter
Brothers and sisters in arms,

I come to you now to address something that has come up several times since my resurrection. It is true, I was struck by the Dagger of Morganna. It tasted my blood, and shattered my spirit with a power more incredible than anything I have ever felt. I want you all to know that I made that choice, to stand there, to defend and to fight a terrible evil. She equally made the choice to strike me down. Please do not fault yourselves in my sacrifice. Do not feel guilt over this or sorrow that you should or could have done more to prevent it. I would stand there and face another obliteration without remorse or hesitation. I am at peace with my choice and my actions and I find none of your actions lacking or anything short of heroic. It was my time to fall, and to rise again. Nothing you could have done would have changed that outcome, only the circumstances around it. I could not have asked for a better time or better company to fight and fall beside.

Squire Koshi, I am told you were dominated at the time and were standing beside Arienne as she cut me down. I cannot imagine how frustrating this must be for you, but please find peace in knowing that I was proud to stand beside you that night. You are an incredible warrior and I will gladly stand beside you again.

Professor Ezri, I have never had a more skilled or competent healer at my back. You were everywhere I went. Together we filled the hole left when one of the shieldmen dropped. We held that spot, that crucial center space between the flanks for far longer than we had any right to. For a greatsword to hold a spot on the front line, and not just any spot but the center is no small feat. In truth, it took Arienne herself to break us and that speaks volumes for your bravery and skill. I would be honored to fight beside you, any day against any foe.

Again I thank all who stood and fought beside me that night. My loss and my sacrifice should not diminish your memory of this fight with sadness or guilt. Neither should Ragnar's sacrifice. He gave everything while fighting this terrible evil. He would not want us to remember this fight and grieve. Instead I ask of you to remember our sacrifices and allow them to temper your resolve against evil. Let them make in each of us a strength of spirit that no dagger or amount of evil can ever take away.

I salute all of you for your bravery.

Honor and duty,
-Gwendara Alanik
Seneschal of the Stormblades

It is us that should salute you for your bravery and for willfilly facing the danger you know which was ahead. True courage you do possess, but this is not shocking to me at least. You have always been there and have always stood beside me or helped when you could. A great Immortal legionnaire you would make, have you not already had such a great group of friends, companions, and duties elsewhere.

I salute you,
-Lt. Ithica

Ithica,

You honor me with your words, particularly the Immortals. As you say, if I did not already have my friends and companions I would join you without hesitation. Regardless, I will stand beside you and Uzio wherever evil threatens good souls.

Honor and Duty,

-Gwendara Alanik

Gwendara,

I am almost at a loss for words, and am humbled by your sentiments. Indeed I felt it my fault when you fell... it was my duty to keep you alive. I suppose most healers feel that pang of guilt when one they were protecting falls. But in retrospect I realize you are right - against that dagger there was little I could have done.

I can only echo Ithica's thoughts when I say that I was proud to stand with you, and that you showed great courage and fortitude in the face of incredible danger. You and I shall stand together again, and see her defeated at last, for you, for Ragnar, for Gabriel, for Aislynn, and for all the innocents whose lives were ripped from them by her hand.

May the trees always protect you, and the stars always guide your way.

~Ezri

Gwen,
Do try to take care of yourself. That I hear such tales of your courage suprises me not. That your skill aquits itself so well suprises me not. There is so much truth in what you say. Honor for honor, I would not dishonor what you place forth...especially I...one who is gone.

But keep alive my friend. Your story is to young and bright to be seeking an end, and I still hope somewhere to see you again.

Simon Neville

Simon,

It is good to hear your voice, and to know that you are still alive...somewhere. Worry not, I do not actively seek an end to my story. I merely walk the path of my life, following the decisions that make me who I am regardless of the outcome. The day will come, I know not when, that I fall and do not rise again. I hope in that day, there will not be sorrow but rejoicing for a life well lived. That I will be able to rest easy, knowing I made no choices that sullied my character. And should this day come before I see you again, be comforted in the fact that I did not compromise my values and that I will speak to you again in the Graveyard of Fallen Heroes.

Honor and Duty,
-Gwendara Alanik

Gwendara said:
Simon,

It is good to hear your voice, and to know that you are still alive...somewhere. Worry not, I do not actively seek an end to my story. I merely walk the path of my life, following the decisions that make me who I am regardless of the outcome. The day will come, I know not when, that I fall and do not rise again. I hope in that day, there will not be sorrow but rejoicing for a life well lived. That I will be able to rest easy, knowing I made no choices that sullied my character. And should this day come before I see you again, be comforted in the fact that I did not compromise my values and that I will speak to you again in the Graveyard of Fallen Heroes.

Honor and Duty,
-Gwendara Alanik

Woman

Do not talk ill with fate, she is a cruel mistress and listens well.

You WILL live a long fruitfull life and give me many little ones to spoil as "auntie".

So I decree and so shall it be.

~Glorianna

Lady Knight,

I do not talk ill with fate! What she has in store for me I cannot change. As I said to Simon, I do not seek an end to my story. I am certain you will do an excellent job of spoiling any little ones I may have. All I mean to say is I will not change how I live my life from a fear of death. What good is it to hide from death and live a life less noble just to eek out a few more years? I will live a good life, regardless of its length. Death will find me when it is ready, and I will face it when it is my time with my head high and my character unbroken.

Besides, you can't get rid of me that easily. I have so much more good natured "mockery" left in me!

Honor and Duty,
-Gwendara Alanik

Is there anyone who can doubt why I love this woman so much, after hearing these words?

In each of us, in each of our actions, there is a choice. We can choose to embrace life, and stand against those that would deface it and rob other of it, or we can turn away to "protect what's ours", and most surely loose it in the process.

I may not have lived a very long life in the eyes of most, but I know that even had I lived a thousand years, beloved, I would never have found another spirit as strong, as full of life, and as beautiful as yours. No matter what the fates throw at me, no matter how long or short my skein is, I consider it a privilege to have walked this path for even just a few moments with you.

Squire Ulthoc of Nordenn

Back