Totaly New.

hello,
my names bear and im completly new to the hole larp thing em mass. i am how ever a scadian and a pirate. thought not any thing near the same from what i understand. i'm soon to move to eugene and was woundering if theres a group there that meets regularly that could introduce me to his hole thing. im interested becuase of that damned comic the devils panties and geebs, on keen spot. it sounds fun and i look forward to hearing from any one that could tell me about this type of event AND WHAT TO LOOK FORWARD TO. oops caps lock lol. any how i'm willign to take emails or phone calls. my e-mail is greenwicth@yahoo.com if oyu want my number jsut e-mail me. thanks again:)
~bear

Howdy.
So, a quick bit of history first. The author of Devil's Panties/Geebas on Parade plays SOLAR, which is an south eastern US spin-off of Nero International. Nero Alliance and Nero International split into those two games about 10 years ago. Alliance (whose board you are now posting on) used to be called Nero Alliance, but dropped the Nero name because of the bad reputation that Nero International acquired, and didn't want to be associated with that reputation. So, short story even shorter, what is represented in that comic is an offshoot of an offshoot of this game, so some things are different, though a lot of the framework is similar, since all three games (and plenty more) have roots in the original system (which was called Nero 20 years ago, before the Alliance/International split).

Anyways, since you've never played any of those systems, and only Alliance is in Oregon, you'll probably never know the difference, but now you know there is one.

So, Alliance is a nationwide collection of games that uses the same rules, treasure, and progression system. Anything you can do in one chapter, you can do in any other chapter. Once you have a character created in the Alliance system, you can go to any other Alliance game and play that same character with the same equipment, history, and skills.
Generally, there is one Alliance chapter per state. In Oregon, the Alliance chapter nearest to you is in Portland. Around 1-2 times per month the Oregon chapter holds a "Gameday." A gameday takes place on a weekend afternoon and is effectively a short mission or series of encounters that generally furthers a plotline along, provides combat and non-combat problems to deal with, and provides your character with loot and experience (which you can then use to purchase more skills for the next game).

A good analogy is Dungeons and Dragons. Each campaign sets the feeling and tone of their world (forgotten realms, ravenloft, greyhawk, etc) but they all use the same rules. Alliance chapters are the same way. Every one uses the same rules (no house rules) but each campaign's flavor is different. Most games lean towards high fantasy, but that's not necessarily the rule.

Every few months, a chapter will hold an Event. An event is a weekend long gathering of players from all over the area (players come from as far south as San Jose, CA and as far north as Bellingham, WA). Events are frequently held at large parks with cabins, bathrooms, and showers. Oregon usually uses Silver Falls Youth Camp. Main plotlines are usually dealt with, more players attend (30-60 players at an event, as opposed to 5-15 at a gameday), and there is a larger diversity of things to do and people to roleplay with. The primary focus of Alliance is the Events. In fact, some chapters don't even hold gamedays, but fortunately you are near the Oregon chapter, which does. At an event, people act as their character from Friday night to Sunday morning. You eat, sleep, and interact all weekend as the character you are playing. At a gameday, the atmosphere is a little more lax, mostly because the game only lasts 2-6 hours and there are fewer players.

Finally (I'm wrapping it up because this is a lot of general info, and your question is awfully general, so you'll have to ask more specific questions next time), Alliance is a Roleplaying game. Sure, we run around it costumes and makeup and hit each other with padded sticks, but 80% of the time you're at a game, you'll be roleplaying. There are other games for people who want to do just the combat part or just the roleplaying part, I play this one because I think it's the best mix of both.

~Matt, West Coast Variety

Oh, and as a quick follow up, the next Event in the area is Seattle's, October 10-12 at Sheppard High Adventure Camp, just east of Enumclaw, WA.
There will probably be quite a few people from the Oregon chapter attending, so if you're interested, you may be able to get a ride with someone. You can check out Seattle's board here: http://www.alliance-seattle.com/forums/index.php (You'll have to register and log in to see the majority of the forums.)

wow thats a lot of info to absorb lol. so basicly you all are taking the bes parst from the sca and a good d&d campain and throwing them to gether to see what happens. that sounds like soooo much fun!
now is there any reason that oyu only use camps with cabins and stuff? i'm used to the hole camping thing thats scadians do. it sounds like it would be cheeper then cabins. also , are there any groups in eugene, not the chapter house but like a smaller vertion that reports to the one in portland, you know for like locals who live in the same area to meet up?
or is it not that organized yet? any how thanky ou for your time:) lookforward to having a ton more questions:D
~bear

wiccanbear said:
now is there any reason that oyu only use camps with cabins and stuff? i'm used to the hole camping thing thats scadians do. it sounds like it would be cheeper then cabins.
It would be cheaper, but cabins are a better fit for a 40 straight hour game. Unlike SCA, when you know when combats and other events will occur, anything can happen at any time. People need to be able to be up and active at any time. Additionally, many character races require makeup and prosthetics (elves need ears, dwarves need beards, dark elves need black makeup, etc) which doesn't lend itself well to a tent environment. To complicate things many, many times further, monsters, props, logistics, and all the organization that takes up needs a large warm, dry, lit, powered location. There are a few chapters that will occasionally run a tent event, but they are few and far between for those (and many more) reasons.

wiccanbear said:
are there any groups in eugene, not the chapter house but like a smaller vertion that reports to the one in portland, you know for like locals who live in the same area to meet up? or is it not that organized yet?
No, unlike the SCA, which is comprised of many smaller groups within each larger group, each chapter is a complete entity. It takes several thousand dollars to start and maintain a chapter, so they don't really spring up with just a few people. There is a considerable amount of overhead that is involved in having a chapter, and while it sounds like a lot, once you've been to an event you'll see where much of it goes. While Eugene is nearly 2 hours from Portland, that's really not a terrible trek, considering that people sometimes come from as far as San Jose, CA (and if you attend the January game for the Seattle chapter, there are some people coming from Chicago for that). I personally drive 5 and a half hours from Bellingham, WA to Oregon Events. Now, I don't do that for gamedays, but Events are really where the game is at. Long story short, I don't think that there is anyone from our group in Eugene, or is going to be any time soon, but I don't know where everyone lives.

~Matt

Incidentally, I am also totally new (I would argue more totally than you :p), and from Eugene, though only until the end of the school year. I can't help you much with info and comparisons, but I did just ask and have answered a few questions over here. Perhaps if we both end up going to an Alliance thing in Portland, we could carpool.

elliotbay said:
Incidentally, I am also totally new (I would argue more totally than you :p), and from Eugene, though only until the end of the school year. I can't help you much with info and comparisons, but I did just ask and have answered a few questions over here. Perhaps if we both end up going to an Alliance thing in Portland, we could carpool.

thats sounds most agreeable:) i realy would love to see and possily play in one of these events. the more i hear the more it sounds better then the sca, not that the sca isnt fun, i just hate the natzzis.
i'm not the greatest role player - my sister spend about 80% of her day on the compter role playing.....which i just dont get!
but i do have a decent inagination.
oh and are noobs allowed to play at an even or do we sit and watch for a bit? or is there like an orientation class. i know i sound stupid asking thins. but its importants to me lol! thanks again for oyur time:)
~bear

oh another question. again a comparison that i think is important to know. are larp events dry sights? i know there are lots of kids that play but there are lots of kids in the sca as well.
i understand the booz is in game acctualy koolaid or tang or ginger soda or other drinks. i just want to know if it .. acceptable to bring real mead or other... real drinks.( i'm not very good at being politicaly corecct. in fact i realy suck at it.)

also how do couples go? i mean im married and my hubby will be going with me. and i have many! single friends. i know is an odd question. but ive been int he sca for the past 5 years and well what can i say its true when they say the sca is for fighters, drunks and the letcherrous.....
do we rent our own cabin? or dorm or what ever?
any way, i just want to make sure of certine... protocals? and expectations so i dont inadvertantly offend someone.
thanks again.

wiccanbear said:
oh another question. again a comparison that i think is important to know. are larp events dry sights? i know there are lots of kids that play but there are lots of kids in the sca as well.
i understand the booz is in game acctualy koolaid or tang or ginger soda or other drinks. i just want to know if it .. acceptable to bring real mead or other... real drinks.( i'm not very good at being politicaly corecct. in fact i realy suck at it.)

also how do couples go? i mean im married and my hubby will be going with me. and i have many! single friends. i know is an odd question. but ive been int he sca for the past 5 years and well what can i say its true when they say the sca is for fighters, drunks and the letcherrous.....
any way, i just want to make sure of certine... protocals? and expectations so i dont inadvertantly offend someone.
thanks again.

Well, in Alliance, we might be fighters, we might be lecherous, but we can't be drunk (Out Of Game - OOG). No alcohol, no illegal drugs.

wiccanbear said:
As Whorfin said there is no Alcohol or Illegal Drugs allowed.

wiccanbear said:
thanks again.

And as for sex and so forth, we do have minors that play the game their ages range from 8-17. So, common sense would say that you should leave such things at home. Kissing, hugging, and other forms of affection are okay, even flirting in game as long as the person/s are comfortable with it. But a good thing to remember is that a player may flirt with you in game as their PC but that does not mean they would do so or welcome it out of game. It really comes down to common sense and respecting others boundaries. And generally most players will say something if they feel uncomfortable with the situation or your actions.

That brings up another question from me. How are accommodations usually handled? I know it's usually cabins, and I read in another thread that NPCs sleep away from PCs (and go to sleep before stupid o'clock, although that might be chapter-specific). Are males and females typically in separate cabins, or separate areas in the same cabin? Would sleeping with* one's spouse be frowned upon, PC or NPC, or is it fairly common practice? Explicitly prohibited?

* note that I am using this phrase literally. No sexual activity implied, despite what popular culture might have you believe.

It really is a chapter to chapter policy, there is nothing in the game that specifically prohibits or condones sleeping arrangements either way. I've not been in a chapter yet that prohibits a married couple from being in the same bed. I have been in chapters that prohibit minors from sleeping in a cabin with members of the opposite sex without a chaperon of the same sex sleeping in that cabin as well. I have also observed that most chapters tend to have decency rules about not doing anything on site that you wouldn't see in a PG-13 movie, although I'd a moron if I thought that it didn't happen from time to time.

~Mark

elliotbay said:
That brings up another question from me. How are accommodations usually handled? I know it's usually cabins, and I read in another thread that NPCs sleep away from PCs (and go to sleep before stupid o'clock, although that might be chapter-specific). Are males and females typically in separate cabins, or separate areas in the same cabin? Would sleeping with* one's spouse be frowned upon, PC or NPC, or is it fairly common practice? Explicitly prohibited?

* note that I am using this phrase literally. No sexual activity implied, despite what popular culture might have you believe.

Mark pretty much covered it, though generally if say you PC and your husband NPC'd you would not be able to sleep in the same cabin as an example. That is pretty much one of the only cases where it might not be allowed. Other then that it is fine. Though with most of the camps we use the bunks in the cabins are twin bed size so, it can be a little difficult to comfortably accommodate two people. But there is nothing that says you could not bring a larger air mattress and sleep on it on the floor. :)

cool, thanks

Along those lines, queen sized air mattresses are really pretty cheap.

I realize your are probably fairly "camping savvy" but for those who aren't, I recommend having air mattresses and camp chairs on hand as the cabins we use don't have any chairs in them. I also recommend bringing area rugs or carpets as the cabins have wooden floors usually (except for the modernized ones) and it's much more comfy to put your bare feet on carpet than haggard old, possibly splintery, wood floors.

I also recommend bringing wall hangings, plug-in mood lighting and various other decorations that would enhance your domicile. I find that doing this really enhances game play and helps with the suspension of disbelief.

~Mark

Accommodations also vary by site. Here's a quick breakdown:

Oregon sites:
Silver Falls Youth Camp:
Cabins sleep 4 to 8, (most sleep 8) beds are bunks without mattresses. Two people on a bunk would be uncomfortable. There's not enough room on the floor in the 4 person cabins for a large mattress, but there is in the larger cabins. Very few cabin buildings have power, light, or heat, so pack warm and bring an electric lantern (no gas or open flames are allowed in the cabins, fire/CO hazard). The cabins get cold because the windows are screens that do not close. Bring tapestries to cover them and keep the heat in. Cabins are clustered together with bathrooms and one large building (usually reserved by a group of PCs). There are two such clusters available for PCs, one for NPCs, and one used for other game purposes. The large buildings and bathrooms have light/power.
The rest of the site has several other (non-sleeping) buildings gathered around the main building ('tavern'). These buildings all have light/power. The tavern has benches/tables and a full kitchen (no plates/pots/pans/utensils though) with stoves, walk in refrigerator, oven, etc. There are showers on site.

Silver Falls Ranches:
One large building (unless both buildings are reserved, then there are two, but one is for NPCs) that all PCs stay in. The first floor has a large fireplace and a few benches and tables (bring chairs to sit near the fire). Building has light/power/bathrooms/full kitchen (no accessories, as above). The second floor has all bunks, though the bottom bunks are large enough for a queen air mattress. There are lots of bunks, but the floor plan is open. Bring tapestries to section yourself off a private area. I do not recall showers, but I could be wrong here.

Seattle Sites:
Camp Shepard:

One main tavern building with full kitchen. Accessories provided. Tables and benches in the tavern and all other buildings. Cabins are large, and 2 stories. They sleep 20+ easily. There are more of them then we usually use. Bunks are single person ordeals. All buildings have light/power/heat. Second floor is a loft with a picnic table overlooking most of the cabin. This effectively sections the cabin into 3 parts (4 if you're creative). The loft can sleep 4 in a pinch, but you'll want an air mattress. Bunks have mattresses. There are two large bathrooms. There are showers on site.

Millersylvania:
Bathrooms/showers/tavern as Camp Sheppard. Cabins are smaller (sleep 8) in bunks (with mattresses), though there's floor space if you need it. Bring chairs for the cabins. They have light/heat/power. There are more cabins in groups (4 groups of 4 cabins, plus a few behind the tavern) but one group is separated for NPCs.

All of the cabins at all of the sites are otherwise barren. There aren't couches or lamps or other modern-day furniture to ruin the period environment. Bring your own gear to spice up your cabin. People generally stay with members of their IG group. Each group decorates differently and to different levels. Some cabins will be fairly plain, while some are quite swank. If you don't have a group, try to get on the In-Game forums and state that you're looking for lodging, more often then not someone will offer you a place. Otherwise, most sites have a cabin or two that goes unused if you'd rather stay on your own, or if you are bringing a new group. Generally, the Earth Guild will accept travelers, and often times there's a cabin set aside as an Inn, so you never have to worry about being without a place to be.

All cabins at all sites are mixed gender. This is also true for the bathrooms. Bathrooms/showers have stalls, but the areas outside of them are not otherwise restricted (even if the bathroom is labeled "Men," either gender could be in there). Keep in mind that you'll be sharing cabin space with people most of the time, so don't be doing anything that you wouldn't want someone walking in on. The cost of cabins is included in your event fee. Some people will have claim to specific cabins at some sites, check before setting up your gear. Unless you have a large group coming, assume that you won't be staying with only people that you know.

So far as couples/coupling goes, we're quite different from the SCA (Sex, Combat, and Alcohol, amIright-amIright, wink-wink-nudge-nudge-knowwhatImean). Most of what goes on there is discouraged here. We're pretty PG-13.

wiccanbear said:
oh and are noobs allowed to play at an even or do we sit and watch for a bit? or is there like an orientation class. i know i sound stupid asking thins. but its importants to me lol!

There are a couple different ways to get involved right off. The first is to create a character and just start playing. Throw ya right into the deep end. People learn very fast this way. The other way to do it is to NPC your first game. Basically the Plot team will create characters and situations for you to play in. You'll get a broader range of experiences this way and you'll learn more of the rules in a way that won't be detrimental to your character. Either way, when you do have a character, you'll receive credit for having played, allowing your character to possess extra skills. NPCing is the best way to learn. PCing is the best way to get an experience of what the game is all about. If you have the option, NPC a Gameday, then PC an Event. If you want an orientation (and you really should get one) just ask somebody. Generally, anyone on staff would be the best people to ask, especially the Player Rep. If they're not available, pretty much anyone will talk to you about the game.

awsume thanks every one for the info. i dont wish to seem crude becuase the sca is VERY!! different im now seeing. two opposit ends of almost the same sport.....kinda. thanks for answering me seriously too. i'm good with being pg-13 or at least i try to be. i just wanted to know how different the differances would be.
and yes im very camping savy lol, i have gone beyond wasting money on air mattresses and bought a portable footon style camp bed that NEVER!!! goes flat or needs to refilled at 0'dark:30.
it still sounds totaly fun and i would very much like to go to the next event in oregon. im moving this weekend so ill log back on after a few days and see what it may be:) again thanks so very much:)
~bear

wiccanbear said:
elliotbay said:

thats sounds most agreeable:) i realy would love to see and possily play in one of these events. the more i hear the more it sounds better then the sca, not that the sca isnt fun, i just hate the natzzis.
i'm not the greatest role player - my sister spend about 80% of her day on the compter role playing.....which i just dont get!
but i do have a decent inagination.
oh and are noobs allowed to play at an even or do we sit and watch for a bit? or is there like an orientation class. i know i sound stupid asking thins. but its importants to me lol! thanks again for oyur time:)
~bear

I would also be interested in riding up with you guys. I'm at the U of O down there in the Eug, and would be happy to pay gas money. My e-mail is mageknightz@hotmail.com

Back