Touch Casting and Protectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheakhan

Adept
In regards to touch-casting through protectives, the rulebook states that the person with a Spell Shield or Reflect Magic active "may still “accept” spells that are touch-cast.". The wording makes it sound optional, but the logistics of the thing seem to indicate that touch-cast spells will always circumvent the protective. Which is the accurate interpretation?

This is incorrect.

A refused spell does not burn your spell shield, it is merely rejected. If you didn't have a spell shield up, you'd still reject the spell and nothing would happen. It doesn't make much sense for it to burn your spell shield.

This is to discourage offensive touch casting, because it's not safe, I assume. So even using it to remove protectives seems against this spirit of the rules, so I can't imagine why it would.

So Evan, you're telling me that if I was shaking someone's hand and they had zero protectives or resists, and I muttered "I grant you the gift of death" they can just chuckle and refuse to accept it?

Yes. Additionally, spell incantations must be clearly heard within ten feet, and delivered with a packet (unless you're inferring you'd be shaking my hand with your packet-laden one). So I'd mutter quietly in return, "Flub." ;)

Huh, I was under the impression it just had to be audible to another person, or people in the immediate area. Couldn't find anything in the rulebook that specified a range.
Regardless, that seems like it's against the spirit of the rules as well.

I mean, obviously touch-casting can present a combat safety issue, that really doesn't require much imagination. It's the same reason we can't dive into combat throwing punches.
But we're expected to err on the side of safety AND player enjoyment when observing the rules, so in the same way I might not kill some dude because I know OOG that it's his final life, you would think a reasonable player would observe a clean and unexpected touch cast and go: "Yea, you know what? I'll take that. Good job you dirty bastard!".

Question answered and topic locked.

Feel free to address the specificity of the range at which verbals must be audible in the Rules Discussion forum!

Yes. Additionally, spell incantations must be clearly heard within ten feet, and delivered with a packet (unless you're inferring you'd be shaking my hand with your packet-laden one). So I'd mutter quietly in return, "Flub." ;)

For the sake of new players, please note this is a local to OR/SEA ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back