Tournament Information

This dream is intended to confirm that the tournament will occur as usual this year. All commoners are encouraged to participate and all noble courts are expected to give advance notice if they aren't participating. I have submitted a full article to the Ashbury Times that provides a general outline of the festivities. Here I will give full details on each of the events in order to introduce any rules changes, remind veterans of what the old rules are, and provide first time information for those new to the tournament.

Every team must have 6 participants. There are 9 events.

Colors - Every member of the team must participate. Additional (non-members) may participate. Participants are rated on pageantry and style as they march toward the judges and formally present the members of their team. Gifts to the judges are permitted, but will not affect judging. The order of this event will be used as a tie breaker for the final score, if necessary.

The Hunt - Each team will be given a written Hunt List. The list has approximately 20 or so puzzle items on it and roughly 5 superlative items. The puzzle items must be presented to me after the list is received and before start of the superlative portion of the competition. Each team may attempt to answer a puzzle item up to 3 times. After the third failure, the team can no longer attempt that item. Superlatives have no correct answer and instead are judged against all other teams for quality and creativity. Each team submits one superlative. Non team members may assist in finding items, but only team members may submit items.

Archery - One member of each team will fire arrows at a stationary target. The best final score wins. Only team members may participate.

Entertainment - Every member of the team must participate. Additional (non-members) may participate. Participants are rated on the quality, artistry, humor, and drama of a performance they make. The performance may be acting, musical, comedic, or anything else appropriate to entertain the judges.

Spellcaster's Battle - One member of each team may participate. All spellcasters will engage in battle at the same time. Only battle magic and high magic is allowed. Ritual magic, magic items, scrolls, potions, wands, racial abilities, and other trained skills are not permitted. This is a change to previous years. A participant is knocked out of the competition as soon as they are unconscious, sleeping, "dead", webbed, confined, paralyzed, silenced, imprisoned, or both pinned and bound. Circle of power and necromancy may not be cast. In order to preserve life spells, participants will cast life instead of death spells at opponents. If a life spell is not defended by a spell defense, the target treats it as a death spell. Also, note that if a participant is imprisoned, they are out of the competition, even if they cast they prison.

The Race - Four members of each team participate. It is a relay race.

Trivia - Only team members may participate. There will be one round per team. Each team will begin one round. At the start of the round, I will provide a topic. Then each team, in clockwise order, must provide an example of that topic within 3 seconds. Any member of the team may provide an answer, but the first answer is the one that will be taken. If two members give an answer at the same time, the team is treated as giving a wrong answer regardless of what the answers were. The round continues until only one team remains or until all possible answers are given.

Hero's Combat - One team member from each team participates. Participants may only use weapons that can be crafted by a blacksmith and may not wear armor. Ritual magic and items created by ritual magic are not allowed. Additionally, spells, scrolls, potions, and alchemy are not permitted. Racial skills and trained skills that do not involve magic are permitted. Fights will be one-on-one and round robin. The judges may impose a time limit if it is deemed necessary.

Three-Man Combat - All team members may participate. The competition is performed round robin with 3 members of each team participating in any given match. Participants may use weapons, armor, spells, wands, high magic, racial skills, and trained skills freely. Participants that have the ability to craft scrolls, potions, and alchemy may use these items on a limited basis. While anyone may carry any number of such items, each participant may only use as much of these items per combat as they can craft per day, using a laboratory, without batching. Participants are on their honor to abide to these limits. Additionally, each participant my begin each battle with any number of spell protectives in place and up to one weapon coating on a single weapon they carry or two arrows or bolts they carry. Ritual magic and items created with ritual magic are not permitted. Circle of Power and necromancy is not permitted. When all three participants are unable to fight or have surrendered, the match is over. Any team member may verbally surrender them self, for the team, or for any member of the team that cannot speak. The judges may impose a time limit if it is deemed necessary. The judges also have the final say on when a participant can no longer fight.

As a final note, Spellcaster's Battle will occur on the second day of the competition just before Hero's Combat and Three-Man Combat will occur on the first day of the competition, probably immediately following Colors.

Seneschal Trevor Donovan

On what authority do you dream this Trevor? Do you not realize what has happened? This is the very height of foolishness! We are at war and you ask us to play games?

A few days ago you called us all traitor and drew your blade to execute us, now we are to let you stand in the honored position of judge?

You are dishonored, the games are over for you child.

-Sir Ignatious

My authority in this matter has been granted by his grace Frost Vardik, Duke of Ashbury and his majesty Broomis Bouchard, King of Icenia. It is the decision of his majesty that the tradition of the tournament will continue, despite the ongoing wars and the recent events in Fairdale. If you wish to question that authority or that decision, as a knight of Ashbury you have the right to petition both his grace and his majesty for an audience. I can forward a letter to the royal seneschal if you wish to petition the king and I will personally convey your request if you wish to petition the duke. Otherwise, Sir, please allow this dream to fulfill its purpose of providing information to participants of the tournament.

Senschal Trevor Donovan
Squire to Duke Frost Vardik

So you made it back to the Paladins, alone, through thousands of trolls in six days and they passed their judgment on you without even conducting a proper investigation. You should consider yourself very lucky, usually it takes them months and they typically are thorough enough to actually interview those with complaints.

I don't believe you are authorized by the King. You are an untrustworthy boy. If His Majesty deems fit, he will back up your words. I'm sure he will understand why I am skeptical about just taking your word alone for anything ever again. It is strange that you can talk now that there is such great distance between us.

Regardless, the people of Trellheim are at war. I will not take part in games, while good people die. I'm sure His Majesty will understand that too. You don't seem to understand that you are not welcome amongst some of us, perhaps you should go to the battle-lines and redeem yourself for being an inept tool.

In the future do not offer to perform any service for me.

-Sir Ignatious

A note to tall about the location and timing of this upcoming tournament.

Our troops having been fighting nearly endless wars for years now. Many have not received meaningful leave for quite some time. As an officer of the army, I have personally seen the deleterious effects this has had on morale. Fairdale is the largest uncontested major settlement near the war front. By holding the tournament at this location, it is possible to provide a brief leave to many soldiers currently fighting these wars. While ducal soldiers will not be participating in the tournament, they enjoy the competition and many have favorite teams they wish to rally on. The soldiers remain close enough to the front lines that their absence does not risk our war efforts. Each soldier is aware that they may be recalled at a moment's notice.

The majority of these soldiers are too far away to see the loved ones they fight for, but the tournament provides relaxation, entertainment, and a small slice of normal life. All are asked to show these men and women respect and encouraged to share an ale with them. Participants should remember that they are not only competing for prizes, but for the honor of the duchy and the entertainment of those watching.

I hope that soothes some concerns as to why the tournament is being held at this time and in this location.

Seneschal Trevor Donovan

Thou shalt make war against evil without cessation... unless there is a tourney near by, in which case we can all have a cup o' tea and bet on the outcome...

I don't even follow your code and I fought until resurrection along with a score of others not a fortnight ago...

I'm with Sir Ignatious on this one. Glad I won't be around to see this farce.

-NW

Thank you Nathan Westwind. Thank you for your noble sacrifice and for your years of service.

There are thousands of soldiers in Legion D, my own Phlanax is called the Untiring. These professional warriors are not conscripts or slaves. They have chosen to give their spirit to the defense of Trellheim and Icenia. Of these thousands perhaps a few squads may waver from their duty. I know that after seeing years of warfare the last thing on my mind is seeing mock battle for magical baubles.

I will not desert by the word of a whelp like Trevor. I bet that he is under some foreign control; I tried to psychically free his mind before he started casting Death Spells against commoners he failed to arrest. It had no effect. I fear my powers cannot cure stupid.

Anyone who encounters Trevor Donovan should be careful. Please see that he takes an enslavement antidote if you able. I will compensate the cost.

-Sir Ignatious Skippio Vex

Sir Ignatious,
Ally, Brother, and my closest of friends. I would die a 1000 deaths for you, Sgt Flint, Tinder... all of your men. We all know and appreciate the sacrifice of you and the sacrifice of your men. But at this time try to understand that some people require different means of escape from the horrors of the world. I will not comment my personal thoughts of the games. But A tournament may be just what some need, to escape for even the briefest of moment the atrocities they have faced. A good drink, a little laugh, and gathering of fellowship goes a long way for some.
I beg you brother to calm yourself, let us show no more division to would be lurkers. I understand your frustration and anger, I understand what your experiencing. You know this. I stand beside you as your closest of friends, all your decisions, and all of your statements. But, Let patience play its part now.

-Squire, Commander Ithica.

With all due respect Sir Eros;

Trevor is not a noble. Refer to page 148 of A Collection of Essays, Maps and Treatise for the Visitor or Researcher Concerning the Duchy of Ashbury (near the bottom)...

"Squires are not considered nobles, and do not have the power of a noble. They are to a Knight what an apprentice is to a craftsman."

Nobles (plural) are not arguing in this dream.

I asked the Squire several questions which he has refused to answer. Read on page 151 the charge of Contempt.

"is the voluntary and willful nonobeyance of an order given by one who has the power to issue that order."

When last we saw the Squire he led an infantry company to execute all members of the Baronial Courts. His Excellency Baron Sir Ivan allowed to leave to turn himself into the Paladins. We have no evidence that he has done so.

Now he appears eluding to the fact that he will be conducting a Tournament and claims to have the authority of the King and Duke. This is unacceptable.

Until I hear otherwise this individual is completely out of line. Perhaps you would clarify if anything he is saying is true.

On another matter the Magistrate that you sent us, doesn't know that he is a Lord. I am not sure that he has any legal experience whatsoever. I request you return or send another Magistrate to Fairedale as there has been severe need.

Was I unclear?

These things are not to be spoken publicly. This does nothing to instill trust among the commoners and only delights our enemies who thrill at our inner battles.

There are proper chains of command in which these things can be dealt. This is not one of them.

Sir Eros

wait wait wait... squires are allowed to argue with knights in public without being cut down here? and a magistrate makes it sound as if the knight is at fault? this really IS opposite-land... where are those mists... I need to go home!

T'zel

T'zel

I have no idea who you are, but if you insist on interpreting my words in a way I never meant, you should be happy that I do not know who you are.

I have stated, as clear as can be, that these things should not be discussed publicly. I have said nothing as to who is right, wrong, or to blame in the underlying argument. To read anything more into my words is improper and disrespectful.

Sir Eros

Sir Ignatious,

I will not argue with the nobility, as commanded: I hear you, and I agree with you.

I will be returning to Fairdale again. It would be please me if my sword and spells are yours for the defense of Trellheim for the time I am there, as they were when I first came to Icenia. If there is war to be made while men play games, you have me.

- Ria Sevaria of Goshawk

Ria Sevaria of Goshawk

I accept your oath.

I pledge now to you that I will travel to your Deadlands and strike a blow against the evil there, even if it means my final death. Your people will know peace.

You make me proud beyond words, I miss you dearly.

"Rock of Trellheim"

Sir Ignatious,
I seldom dream here anymore. Frankly I seldom dream. This has disturbed me however. Expect a missive...soon.

Simon Neville

Dear Seneschal Trevor Donovan,

You write

Every team must have 6 participants.

Is this "at least" 6 participants, or "exactly" 6 participants? I have heard different interpretations from my fellow adventurers.

Thank you for the clarifciation,
Sornelintion Swifteagle of the Ash Forest

This is exactly 6 participants, at least at the start of the tournament. In the past, teams have lost members due to permanent deaths or other unavoidable situations. In at least one instance I believe a team has even been allowed to replace a member due to extenuating circumstances.

But, while only 6 may officially be on the team, some events do allow limited participation of those not on the team. The specific events that allow this are Colors, The Hunt, and Entertainment. When non-team members participate, their contributions are not considered in the judging of these events.

If that does not fully answer your question, you will need to clarify your question.

Seneschal Trevor Donovan

Back