Resolved Trap Inside A Circle Inside A Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draven

Count
Orius Orcblaster drags a body into a corner of the 8 gameroom tavern that is expected to Revive in a few minutes. He sets up a circle of power, then sets up a Single Gameroom trap inside the circle. His expectation is that the enemy will wake up, set off the trap, and Orius will survive using Trap Avoidance or simply go unconscious after the blast, which will drop the circle. Totally reasonable strategy (and based on one that happened at the recent Seattle game).

However, my question is whether or not the trap needs to follow gameroom rules, even though it's built in a Circle of Power. Namely:

1) Since the Circle is independent of the trap, can the Circle be classified as a single game room all by itself, thus making the trap legal?

2) If #1 is Yes, what would happen to the trap if the Circle were to go down before the trap were set off? Would it simply cease to function, or would the trap detonate the instant prior to the Circle going down?

I assume if No, that means that a trap set up in a room must follow all gameroom rules regardless of whether or not it's in a Ward or Circle of Power. If so, that makes sense mechanically, but it means I think I'd like to propose some modifications that help with thematics.

Thematically, I have zero issue with the Circle dictating a new game room boundary, but the issue is that it is ultimately separate from the trap itself. NPCs might DM the Circle, or the character might go unconscious with an active trap present (NPC woke up and smacked Orius with Weapon Sleep, maybe).

If a space is already considered a game room and a new legal barrier appears or moves which alters the game room space, such as creating two smaller game rooms with a wall of force, or a wall moves and changes a single game room into a larger two game room, and an area trap goes off within a space where it is no longer large enough to cover the game room it is in, it is now considered an ineffective trap. If a larger area trap goes off within a newly smaller game room, it still has the same effect (no doubling or otherwise increasing effectiveness)

Game room size, and features, will all still be up to the marshal running the game room. Secondarily, regardless of the changes to the features of the space a trap is set up within, it will only be set off if it is triggered as per the ARB (failure to properly set, move more than 5ft., trigger being tripped, trigger not behind any barriers or within another game room, etc.).

If a trap is set within a space that is not already considered a game room by an active marshal, regardless of newly created barriers, utilize the rules for setting off an area trap in an outdoor space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back